PDA

View Full Version : Mazda "Soul Red" heads up

joebrez
06-28-2014, 07:44 AM
I'm not sure where to put this, but I've now done my second Mazda in Soul Red and want to send a warning out on it. The stuff is wicked soft!!! 3m and mother's clay marred it (chemical guys Clay Lube) badly with the panel soaking wet. I've worked Mazda paint before and has always been on the hard.

Be sure to use some nice test spots!!!

Paul A.
06-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks joe! And good info based on your second one.

Klasse Act
06-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Do you have any pics of your work, I just LOVE that color, it looks like its plugged into an outlet!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

joebrez
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Klasse Act
06-28-2014, 01:13 PM
The 1st picture shows the stunning beauty of this color!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

SR6
07-06-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure where to put this, but I've now done my second Mazda in Soul Red and want to send a warning out on it. The stuff is wicked soft!!! 3m and mother's clay marred it (chemical guys Clay Lube) badly with the panel soaking wet. I've worked Mazda paint before and has always been on the hard.

Be sure to use some nice test spots!!!

Hi joebrez. I did a google search for 'soul red detail' and found this post. I own a Soul Red Mazda as well, the 6 model. You've confirmed what other owners have said about the paint being soft. My 6 has some slight scratches from the dealer. Looks like someone used a dirty towel and dragged some grit on it.

Since I'm new to machine polishing, maybe you can offer me some advice.

I have a Harbor Freight DA and did the mods I read about - repacked with better grease, changed the switch position, and added a 5" backing plate. I know it's not the best tool, but I figured it'll only be for personal use and I won't need it year round.

I have all of the following 5.5" Hex-Logic pads, except for the yellow and orange.

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii466/wil0523/Miscellaneous/Untitled-1-1_zpsf00d4afb.jpg~original

Then, I have Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ult Polish. Planning on getting M205 as well.

I know you should always do a test spot with the least aggressive approach, but with this type of paint and what I have to work with, what would be a good combination to use?

joebrez
07-08-2014, 07:06 AM
@SR6 without seeing the car, I would use either Green (Heavy Polish) and Gray (Medium Polish). You should be fine with both those Meguiar's Product, they are pretty forgiving. M205 is still one of my favorite goto polishes, it's a really nice product.

I would also recommend this after 205: 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze - Dark, utilizes cutting-edge technology to polish away surface-marring problems. (http://www.autogeek.net/3mperswirmar.html)

Although the product says it's a swirl mark remover, it's really a machine applied glaze. It really makes Metallic paint pop, as does Chemical Guys "Black Light / V7" combo.

What are you planning on using as a finishing coat?

BTW: I have had a couple HF-DA's, they are actually pretty nice units after the mods.

SR6
07-08-2014, 07:59 AM
@joebrez

Great! Thanks.

I may even start with the Blue soft polish pad along with 205. I read another soul red owner machine polished out some swirls with just M205 and a microfiber finishing pad.

I'll try to take better pictures of the scuffs and scratches. I don't really have a problem with swirls. Mostly, it looks like when the dealer washed and prepped the car they used a dirty towel with some grit still on it, leaving behind a couple drag lines. Then there's a spot on the c pillar where it looks like someone was grabbing onto or had something rubbing up against it (maybe a power cord or hose) and it got a little scuffed up. It's probably better that I get 3" pads for these isolated scratches, then do the overall body polishing with the 5.5" pads I already have.

Will a 3" backing plate work ok with the HF DA?

Not sure what I plan to finish with after polishing. Maybe stay with the Meg's Ultimate line, or try Mothers Reflections Advanced Car Wax then Top Coat.

joebrez
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Microfiber pads tend to be for more heavy correction, I have one, but have never needed it... Yet.

As far as top coats go. 3m Performance Finish, Colonite 845 and CGs Jetseal (new 118 not 109) have done well for me.

joebrez
07-08-2014, 08:21 AM
Sorry, yes the 3" backing plate will work fine.