PDA

View Full Version : Polish and waxing new car

CC_Bowman
06-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Recently picked up a 14 VW CC R Line. White with very very minor swirling. I picked up some chemical guys V40 polish+sealant and a paste wax to cover this all up.

I washed the car today and the water just sat on the hood solid nothing at all protecting it. So my question is would the above products help the issue?

I also have a PC XP7424. CG hex pads black finishing and orange light/medium cutting to do the V40.

Thanks for the input. New to this and want to keep it shining. Dealer didn't help that upon pickup.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/28/2uzaqeje.jpg

rmagnus
06-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice looking car and welcome to AGO.

I've never used CG V40 but any polish will be fine with your PC. 5.5" hex pads are nive to work with. Start with a polishing pad first.

Decontaminate the car with IronX then clay it for a smooth finish to polish on. Then wax her up and your good to go.

swanicyouth
06-27-2014, 09:00 PM
There are a lot of threads in here how to detail a new car. The consensus is, a lot of new cars come from the the factory with paint contamination - so before any polishing you want to use IronX (or similar) and then clay.

After that, it's up to you to decide if you want to polish it to remove the swirls. Honestly, I'm not familiar with that CG's product. I like a lot of CG's products - but you don't see a lot of people raving about their polishes. The V line gets some good comments - other than that I would use polishes from Wolfgang, Menzerna, or Optimum on your brand new car if you choose to go that route. These polishes are known to have top abrasive technology - no if,ands, or buts. They are also user friendly and great results are almost guaranteed.

The problem with CGs IMHO is they are a bit inconsistent. Some of their products are great - and some are used car lot detail jobber guy worthy. This is my opinion - but a lot of people seem to share it.

After polishing, you should wax or seal the paint with something. If you want a not too expensive top shelf product - I'd recommend a Collinite wax. Their MOST EXPENSIVE wax is about $30, and it really could sell for 3x the price. Collinite's durability, value, ease of use, and longevity is unsurpassed, regardless which of their waxes you choose. Although, I'd go with their flagship wax - 915.

Then, all you will need are some good towels and a good spray wax to maintain it after washing. If you shop wisely - you could get almost everything you would ever need at your front door for under $200.

David Hayward
06-27-2014, 09:06 PM
My cc had very hard clear so it finished out almost perfect using a meguiars microfiber cutting disk with meguiars d300. You will need to get pretty aggressive with it if it is similar to mine even to remove light defects.

David Hayward
06-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Also a side note chemical guys v36 with a meguiars mf finishing pad was able to take my friends 14 gli to a near perfect finish. Also to add it did have severe contamination so a clay or Nanoskin or similar may be needed.

CC_Bowman
06-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the input. I have CG v38, v40 and a couple polishing pads black from CG also. And a few light/medium cut CL pads on the way and the collinite wax. Hopefully this will seal the deal.

Mainly looking to have the water starting to bead off as it just lays.

Will post some before and afters when finished. Thanks again.

David Hayward
06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
If those don't work out for you give the meguiars microfiber kit a try. Make sure to post up some results when you are done.

cleanmycorolla
06-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Where are you? Maybe a member is close and has other products to help?

CC_Bowman
06-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Live in bensalem pa