PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

Redwings
06-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Hello all.....

WHAT A Great site with lots of info!!!.

I just ordered the PB's detailing/polishing kit and I already own PC 7424. I see there are some answers to my question but I wanted to ask using this kit whats the best order of steps with the kit.

I dont have the clay bar and wondered if its matters if I skip that step or would you advise against that?

I have a 01 Black BMW and she hasnt been waxed in a bit (just getting into do it yourself detailing again) it has minor/moderate swirl marks.

I can see how you can spend $$$ VERY easily....

Thanks all

skipm2k
06-12-2006, 05:39 AM
Claying makes a huge difference and doesn't cost that much. It's definitely the way to go.

BritOn2wheels
06-12-2006, 07:21 AM
:iagree: :iagree:

I Totally agree. What's the sense in trying to cover-up defects? For the very modest cost associated in time and money, claying is definately recommended, especially on a nice set of wheels like your BMW. ;)

Redwings
06-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Thanks what do you liike best?

Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay ? or others?

bluzman
06-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I used the meguires clay kit with very good results. Plus you can buy it at your local auto parts store!

skipm2k
06-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I've used Mother's, Griot's and just ordered Pinnacle poly. They've all worked well and cost is about the same. If you have a favorite brand of product you're comfortable with, use that. I've heard that some car manufacterers don't clearcoat black paint. You may want to look into that aspect. Black is very unforgiving to even small defects. After using clay you'll be amazed at how smooth the paint is. Follow the instructions to the letter. If you drop the clay you're using throw it out. It is now a scratch making machine. Knead the clay after every section to bring clean clay to the surface. "follow the directions" that cannot be overstated.

Redwings
06-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I know some of this is stated in other threads but I just want to be sure.

I think it goes Wash,Clay,wash again...then what is best using the PB kit I am getting?

THanks for all the help

supercharged
06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay is the way to go!!! It is a finer grade clay, very soft. Don't forget about lubricant. Pinnacle clay lube smells like a melon!:righton:
If you are planning to get something at local Pepboys - then get Mothers. Mothers clay is also good (second place rating) and Mothers showtime for lubricant. Smells like Cinnamon:righton: !
Remember to use enough lubricant - otherwise you will be creating scratches/swrils in your paint. You will most likely use around 16 oz on 3 or 5 series, or X3; more on 6, 7, or X5.

skipm2k
06-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't rewash. After using clay i wipe off the lubricant with water and a microfiber.

BritOn2wheels
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM
I think it goes Wash,Clay,wash again...then what is best using the PB kit I am getting?

Wash, but don't dry. Leave the surface wet - spray on your chosen lubricant one small area at a time and start claying (Pinnacle Poly Ultra is a good bet on black, DP is another good option).
After you have clayed the whole vehicle go back and wash again before using the PB kit.

Good Luck.

Redwings
06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
Great thanks all
just FYI its a 530, and I have an 02 Navaigator I want to do as well but that is gold/tan color.

After wash and clay whats the next step??

SR (either 1 or 2.5 depending on swirl marks correct),wax (Nuttys blue), then the spray and gloss??

The Waterless Spray/Wash is for in between major detailing times and then the QD after that?? or am I way off?

Also since I am hammering you all with questions what about the plastic bumpers front/back, headlight lenses,etc what products do you use on them anything in this PB kit?

Thanks

skipm2k
06-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Depends on the product. I have no exp. w/ poorboys. There are different systems. Mother's would be glaze/seal then wax. Zaino is a whole different method and product. Do some searching in the forums for procedure, suggestions etc. etc.

abrcrombe
06-12-2006, 08:13 PM
There is nothing in the kit really for the bumpers and headlights.

http://www.autogeek.net/pbnl16.html

for the bumpers and

http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaner.html

for the headlights.

The Waterless Spray/Wash is for in between major detailing times and then the QD after that?? or am I way off?
You can use that if you don't have access to a hose, or just want to clean things up a little bit.

So you will want to wash/clay then use the ssr 2.5 or 1 (depends on how bad your swirls are) with one of the pads (probably white, but orange if you have bad swirls). Wax with Natty's Blue and you can use spray and gloss a few hours later, or after your weekly washes to bring in some more shine.