PDA

View Full Version : Compound/Polish for Chevy Paint?

Pages : [1] 2

AlwaysLoyal
06-26-2014, 07:02 PM
I had a question in which compound/Polish would be best suit for my 2014 Impala. I'm currently using meguairs ultimate compound but it's not enough to take the swirls out. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHL88
06-26-2014, 07:05 PM
What pads/machine do you use with Ultimate Compound? It should be enough to use with GM paint. Its hard, but UC works for me with my '13 Silverado.

I would look into getting some MF cutting discs/pads. It's cheaper than buying a bottle of something new.

AlwaysLoyal
06-26-2014, 07:15 PM
What pads/machine do you use with Ultimate Compound? It should be enough to use with GM paint. Its hard, but UC works for me with my '13 Silverado.

I would look into getting some MF cutting discs/pads. It's cheaper than buying a bottle of something new.

I'm using a PC7424xp, and a orange compound foam pad. Maybe I have to finesse my technique lol

Rsurfer
06-26-2014, 07:19 PM

:iagree:Get some Meg's MF pads.

inDetail
06-26-2014, 07:36 PM
I personally like the Buff & Shine MF pads much better. More MF on the surface, Foam backer is much thicker. They just feel more solid.

JHL88
06-26-2014, 07:45 PM
I'm using a PC7424xp, and a orange compound foam pad. Maybe I have to finesse my technique lol

You can correct with the setup you have it will just take longer. Make very slow arm movements and more passes on speed 6 and it should work.

There are several things you can do here.

sell the PC and get a Flex 3401vrg. This will yield you the more dramatic cutting power. Like I stated before, get some MF discs for your PC this will give you a significant amount of cutting power.

You can change your compound to lets say Meg's 105/101. D300 with MF discs. This would help some.

You can also reduce your pad size for a more efficient cut.

It's all in what you want to do or how much you want to spend.

I honestly only use my Megs G110v2 (PC equivalent) with my 4 inch pads on smaller areas. Everything else I tackle with my Flex3401.

Ive never run into something I couldn't correct with Flex+MF cutting pad+a good compound.

AlwaysLoyal
06-26-2014, 08:03 PM
You can correct with the setup you have it will just take longer. Make very slow arm movements and more passes on speed 6 and it should work.

There are several things you can do here.

sell the PC and get a Flex 3401vrg. This will yield you the more dramatic cutting power. Like I stated before, get some MF discs for your PC this will give you a significant amount of cutting power.

You can change your compound to lets say Meg's 105/101. D300 with MF discs. This would help some.

You can also reduce your pad size for a more efficient cut.

It's all in what you want to do or how much you want to spend.

I honestly only use my Megs G110v2 (PC equivalent) with my 4 inch pads on smaller areas. Everything else I tackle with my Flex3401.

Ive never run into something I couldn't correct with Flex+MF cutting pad+a good compound.
Thanks for the tip! I'm saving for the flex at the moment, I'm a just have to settle for some MF pads or just keep at it with the setup i got. Any suggestions foam pads that will do the trick? I also have the M105 but was hesitant to try it on my paint I'm a have to give it a go next time.

06-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'm saving for the flex at the moment, I'm a just have to settle for some MF pads or just keep at it with the setup i got. Any suggestions foam pads that will do the trick? I also have the M105 but was hesitant to try it on my paint I'm a have to give it a go next time.

Save your time and effort with the current setup if you plan on getting a Flex. When you do pick up a Flex, may I suggest picking up Menzerna FG400 & SF4000 with LC hybrid pads...

The Guz
06-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Give M105 a try with an orange foam pad. GM paint can be hard so D300 and meguiar's MF pads work great for that.

Dayonta675
06-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I wish I did a little bit more research before buying a DA, the PC XP is great but I had the luxury to try my friends Flex 3401vrg -- unfortunately it's on a whole nother level. Don't get me wrong, the PC is great and for double+ the cost the Flex should be better and it is... It just feels so much more planted and balanced, good results are so much easier to achieve. Maybe in a few years I'll snag one or a Rupes.

06-27-2014, 12:07 AM
I wish I did a little bit more research before buying a DA, the PC XP is great but I had the luxury to try my friends Flex 3401vrg -- unfortunately it's on a whole nother level. Don't get me wrong, the PC is great and for double+ the cost the Flex should be better and it is... It just feels so much more planted and balanced, good results are so much easier to achieve. Maybe in a few years I'll snag one or a Rupes.

We all have to start somewhere, I initially purchased a PC but soon upgraded to the 3401. Yeah, its quite a money to let go but I know I'm glad I did - night and day difference with 3401 & PC...

Corey@OptimalDetailing
06-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Think starting off with a PC is what most of us do. I still use mine to this day for multiple reasons, but my Flex is my go to for hard paints. I would HIGHLY recommend Megs MF 5" system for the PC, or B&S MF pads for the Flex. The B&S are to thick and heavy for the PC to correct properly, IMO. You can do M105 with an orange pad combo for the PC, but it will take time. And a Flex is quite a learning curve, I'd get comfortable with the PC and Megs MF system. Your confidence and correction abilities with this system will sky rocket from your current combo.

refreshauto
06-27-2014, 09:39 AM
I had a question in which compound/Polish would be best suit for my 2014 Impala. I'm currently using meguairs ultimate compound but it's not enough to take the swirls out. Any suggestions?

you have the right tools, just have to bring the speed up to 6 on the PC with the orange pad and UC. chevy paints are on the harder side, so slow down your arm movement apply some pressure and do 5-6 cross hatch passes and you should be good to go. if that still doesnt work run down to auto zone or discount auto and get you some m105 and m205. make sure to mark your backing plate. you want to apply enough pressure but not enough to stop the pad from spinning and that is where marking your backing plate comes into effect

AlwaysLoyal
06-27-2014, 04:33 PM
you have the right tools, just have to bring the speed up to 6 on the PC with the orange pad and UC. chevy paints are on the harder side, so slow down your arm movement apply some pressure and do 5-6 cross hatch passes and you should be good to go. if that still doesnt work run down to auto zone or discount auto and get you some m105 and m205. make sure to mark your backing plate. you want to apply enough pressure but not enough to stop the pad from spinning and that is where marking your backing plate comes into effect

Thanks for the tips! I already have the 105 and 205. Yea I have the UC and Polish from meguiars. After my first time using them it took some of swirls and scratches but not completely. I just need to add some more pressure and that should do it! Would any orange foam pad do? Or any suggestions on better pads, I'm currently using HF pads because I couldn't wait to try out my PC :laugh:

refreshauto
06-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the tips! I already have the 105 and 205. Yea I have the UC and Polish from meguiars. After my first time using them it took some of swirls and scratches but not completely. I just need to add some more pressure and that should do it! Would any orange foam pad do? Or any suggestions on better pads, I'm currently using HF pads because I couldn't wait to try out my PC :laugh:

I'm not sure about the HF pads as i have not used them, but they should be able to handle the job

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online