PDA

View Full Version : Minor scratching with clay bar

buddiiee
06-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Ok, all my cars are black (i know) and when I clay them, after I wipe everything off, I can see micro scratches in the direction that I clayed. Is this standard, or am I doing something wrong.

wdmaccord
06-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Not unusual, especially on black. Likely picked up some contaminants and spread them around a little bit before you switched to a clean surface. This is one reason I always plan to polish after claying, but especially on black. More likely to happen on softer paints too.

Dr_Pain
06-26-2014, 09:33 AM
If you are not happy with the results then evaluate the technique and the tools. You may need a better lubricant, a finer clay, a little less pressure, a more frequent re-application of lubricant, may need to do a IronX decon first (not to drag small iron particle all over), may need to do a light quick pass then ONR the panel and do a more thorough second pass.......

The list goes on and on.............. BUT I NEVER plan on claying without doing a light polish after, especially on a dark vehicle. Micro marring on soft paint is almost inevitable.

refreshauto
06-26-2014, 09:35 AM
If you are not happy with the results then evaluate the technique and the tools. You may need a better lubricant, a finer clay, a little less pressure, a more frequent re-application of lubricant, may need to do a IronX decon first (not to drag small iron particle all over), may need to do a light quick pass then ONR the panel and do a more thorough second pass.......

The list goes on and on.............. BUT I NEVER plan on claying without doing a light polish after, especially on a dark vehicle. Micro marring on soft paint is almost inevitable.

:iagree:

2old2change
06-26-2014, 09:39 AM
All the above posters are dead on . Remember clay is a abrasive material and some micro marring will appear no matter how careful you are. Being a black or dark colored car only magnifies this to you eyes IMO.

buddiiee
06-26-2014, 10:18 AM

What is IronX decon and ONR?

Dr_Pain
06-26-2014, 10:31 AM
What is IronX decon and ONR?

IronX decontamination is a process by which you use chemicals to degrade the iron based particles that may have embedded themselves in the clear (ie. brake dust etc..). Using IronX to decontaminate the paint helps prevent you dislodging those pesky iron bits and dragging them all over the paint (until you fold them in to your clay).

Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html)

ONR is an acronym for Optimum No-Rinse, which is a rinseless product that can be used as a stand-alone rinseless wash, can be diluted as a quick detailer or clay lubricant. Awesome product!!!
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html)

Paul A.
06-26-2014, 10:32 AM
CarPro Iron X is used to remove any metallic particles both on and embedded in the paint before claying. Makes the clay step work less. ONR is Optimum No Rinse...a rinseless wash product.

(edit: whoops, the good doctor beat me to it).

buddiiee
06-26-2014, 10:59 AM
I see now... Wow. This stuff looks nice. Can't wait to try it.

Paul A.
06-26-2014, 11:20 AM
While you're looking budiee, i will be adding a nanoskin glove to my next order. It replaces clay but does the exact same thing. The good thing about it, for me, is that it is reuseable and if dropped, you simply hose it off (although another good thing about that is because it's a mitt i most likely won't drop it!). Simply lube it the same as you would clay.

Iron X then followed by a nanoskin treatment will get my paint even better!

And while i agree with DrPain, owning a black car myself has proved ALWAYS subject to minor marring after a clay treatment. I have tried every trick in the book to prevent it but it is inevitable for me. I always do a light buff out after every clay session...about twice a year.

builthatch
06-26-2014, 11:25 AM
also OPT has the fine grade Opti-Eraser.