PDA

View Full Version : Remove baked on crud from tailpipe tips?

Pages : [1] 2

flycaster
06-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Have a 2013 ATS 2.0T. Routinely get a build up of crude at the bottom of the stainless tailpipe tips. Usually easy to wipe off (been using tire/wheel cleaner). However, this time I let the buildup go too long and there is just a little bit of crud left after vigorously wiping. How can I get the baked on crud off?

Vivant511
06-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Steel wool grade 0000 and your favorite metal polish. Go over again with a MF cloth and polish again and that should do the job :)

jamesboyy
06-26-2014, 07:52 PM
plus on Vivant511 post though only other suggestion would be to iron-x and clay bar the pipes

asalesagent912
06-26-2014, 08:07 PM
plus on Vivant511 post though only other suggestion would be to iron-x and clay bar the pipes
thats is what i have done. sos pad ,wheel cleaner, iron x then polish

rmagnus
06-26-2014, 08:40 PM
I bought a new car or rather a new car to me and the tips are in fair condition. I've used Flitz and 000/0000 steel wool with great success. If you have a powerball it can take all the elbow grease out of the polishing.

Meguiars Degreaser and APC can also break down the crud if it's really bad.

I'm generally only concerned with the exterior while on the tips of a daily driver.

The Guz
06-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Steel wool grade 0000 and your favorite metal polish. Go over again with a MF cloth and polish again and that should do the job :)

This works very well. A metal sealant will make it easier to clean after you polish.

nickanna
06-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Ha, my first post....
I just use Eagle One Never Dull wadding polish. Takes the carbon deposits off the tips of the wife's Audi (2.0T) and removes any attached road debris. If you stay on top of it, it comes right off. If you let it marinate for a few months, It'll take some effort. :dblthumb2:

KMdef9
06-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I have 5 inch tips which just need some metal polish, often.

l4cky
06-27-2014, 12:48 AM
just a question. products might be flammable?? so if there is some residue left on doing this area, start the car, and it can set on fire (ex: alcohol contained inside the APC)?

flycaster
06-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks all for your suggestions. As I see, there are many ways to successfully attack this issue.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-27-2014, 07:30 AM
P21s Polishing Soap is my go to for keeping my tips clean. Although can be a bit messy, the cleaning ability far outweigh the minor mess.

HD.Detailing
06-27-2014, 07:35 AM
This works very well. A metal sealant will make it easier to clean after you polish.

this

P21s Polishing Soap is my go to for keeping my tips clean. Although can be a bit messy, the cleaning ability far outweigh the minor mess.

this

this, then seal

FUNX650
06-27-2014, 07:52 AM
I never, ever use steel-wool (of any "grade") in, on, around,
or anywhere near a vehicle...NEVER!!!

Bob

Vivant511
06-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I never, ever use steel-wool (of any "grade") in, on, around,
or anywhere near a vehicle...NEVER!!!

Bob

Why not bob?

Guess you've never been in awe of its ability to clean exterior glass then?

Window tinters use it to clean interior glass to prep for tint.

Clean up rusty and tired lug nuts.

Polish exhaust manifolds...

It's like white spirits or acid; has it's place in detailing if known when and how to use it effectively and safely

FUNX650
06-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Why not bob?

Guess you've never been in awe of its ability to clean exterior glass then?

•I've never been in awe of all the no longer oily, metal shards left behind:
-Such nasty, very harmful contaminates!!!

Window tinters use it to clean interior glass to prep for tint.

•They can use whatever they want on auto-glass...
-I won't though!!

Clean up rusty and tired lug nuts.

Polish exhaust manifolds...

•If off of...and far enough away from the vehicle...
-Then: Yes

It's like white spirits or acid; has it's place in detailing if known when and how to use it effectively and safely

•Really no need for you fret yourself in the least:
-By this stage of my Life, I have a pretty good grasp on the place(s) that steel-wool, white spirits, acid, a host of other materials/chemicals can be used effectively where vehicles/vehicle components are involved...and the safety elements involved in doing so.

•Hence my advice proffered on the steel-wool topic.

:)

Bob