PDA

View Full Version : Type II Water spot help

Pages : [1] 2

keo
06-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Hi all,

I need some direction / advice on how to remove Type II water spots on the trunk panel of my 2003 Z06.

So far I've done:

1. Wash / Clay
2. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 1 with a LC Yellow pad
3. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 2 with a LC Orange pad
4. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 3 with a LC Orange pad
5. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 4 with a LC White pad
6. Glaze with Griots Paint Glaze with a LC Black pad

Buffer is a PC 7424.

Pics after the above:

https://plus.google.com/photos/104942751331873135790/albums/6028954660345195825?authkey=CMDUyciPmLe6Fg

I'm not sure how best to proceed. I do know how to wet sand but am not sure if I need to as I can't get a finger nail into the spot, just see it.

Thanks in advance,
KEO

Mike Phillips
06-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Hi all,

I need some direction / advice on how to remove Type II water spots on the trunk panel of my 2003 Z06.

So far I've done:

1. Wash / Clay
2. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 1 with a LC Yellow pad
3. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 2 with a LC Orange pad
4. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 3 with a LC Orange pad
5. Polish with Griots Machine Polish 4 with a LC White pad
6. Glaze with Griots Paint Glaze with a LC Black pad

Buffer is a PC 7424.

After using all of the above and you're not removing enough clearcoat paint to remove the imprints and etching shown below then it must be your technique?

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=77811

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=77812

Hang on....

:)

Mike Phillips
06-26-2014, 07:39 AM
First and foremost, answer these quick questions....

What size are the pads? 5.5" thin pads or the larger 6.5" pads?

First generation PC 7424 or newer PC 7424XP?

Are you running the PC on the 6 speed setting?

Are you pushing down on the head of the polisher with firm pressure?

Did you mark your backing plate so you can visually tell that the pad is rotating as you buff?

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1423/MarkYourBackingPlate01.jpg

Here's a quick video that show how and why to mark your backing plate to see and monitor pad rotation while doing any correction or polishing steps.

How To Check Pad Rotation on a DA Polisher -...

:)

StangFan25
06-26-2014, 09:32 AM
Keo, before attempting the more aggressive route, again. Try Carpro Spotless. I had bad spots as well and Spotless wiped them away with ease.

keo
06-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Answers:

What size are the pads? 5.5" thin pads or the larger 6.5" pads? The Yellow and one Orange pad was the old 6.5" CCS type.
The second Orange pad was the new 6.5" pad.
The White pad is the old 6.5" CCS type.
The Black was the newer 6.5" pad.

First generation PC 7424 or newer PC 7424XP?
First generation.

Are you running the PC on the 6 speed setting?
Yes

Are you pushing down on the head of the polisher with firm pressure?
Not the whole time.

Did you mark your backing plate so you can visually tell that the pad is rotating as you buff?
No.

I'll watch the video this evening.

keo
06-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Keo, before attempting the more aggressive route, again. Try Carpro Spotless. I had bad spots as well and Spotless wiped them away with ease.

Interesting... I'll check it out. Thanks!!!

brondondolon
06-26-2014, 05:44 PM
I did a write up on how to remove very difficult water spots with using spotless and a nanoskin.

Here is the link. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81732-my-method-removing-very-difficult-spotless-nanoskin.html

keo
06-27-2014, 08:41 AM
I did a write up on how to remove very difficult water spots with using spotless and a nanoskin.

Here is the link. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/81732-my-method-removing-very-difficult-spotless-nanoskin.html

So after the wash / clay / Spotless treatment, the spots was still etching in the clear coat and that's where the Nanoskin came in?

Hazcat
06-27-2014, 09:19 AM
The PC really doesn't have the umph to run a 6.5" pad. I recommend purchasing a smaller backing plate and pads. I had my best luck with the MF pads when it came to cutting with the PC. I purchased the Meguiars 5" starter kit: Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

Soon after I picked up a Flex and a Rupes and I've been very happy with both of those along with my rotary.

brondondolon
06-27-2014, 11:51 AM
So after the wash / clay / Spotless treatment, the spots was still etching in the clear coat and that's where the Nanoskin came in?

Yeah I'm not sure if clay would have enough grunt to assist in removing the water spots.

Move the car into the shade. Spray the area with spotless then spray a foam wax applicator with spotless and use it kinda like you are waxing a car. Go in up and down motions then side to side then in circular motions. Make sure you are using enough product to keep the area wet. Do this for about 30 sec - 1min in a 2'x2' section or at least near that size. Hose the area down to remove the acid then saturate with clay lube and use the nanoskin. The paint will feel rough. Use the nanoskin for around the same amount of time (30sec-1min). Wipe with clean dry MF and inspect. Repeat till desired results are achieved.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

TundraPower
06-27-2014, 12:51 PM
This would be a good time to watch Mike's excellent presentation on wet-sanding with the Griot's 3" polisher. I've lost the link. It's on the forum someplace. You'd fix this good as new in like 30 minutes.

keo
06-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Yeah I'm not sure if clay would have enough grunt to assist in removing the water spots.

Move the car into the shade. Spray the area with spotless then spray a foam wax applicator with spotless and use it kinda like you are waxing a car. Go in up and down motions then side to side then in circular motions. Make sure you are using enough product to keep the area wet. Do this for about 30 sec - 1min in a 2'x2' section or at least near that size. Hose the area down to remove the acid then saturate with clay lube and use the nanoskin. The paint will feel rough. Use the nanoskin for around the same amount of time (30sec-1min). Wipe with clean dry MF and inspect. Repeat till desired results are achieved.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Ok, so that's what I didn't understand about your post and still don't after this above explanation. Is the acid supposed to eat the clear or is that done with the Nanoskin? I can't feel anything on the paint, meaning my paint is polished smooth but the spots are still there.

The post from TundraPower about wet sanding makes more sense to me to remove clear and thus the etched water spot stains.

Sorry for my confusion in advance.

rmagnus
06-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Lots of advise but everyone will agree an original PC and 6.5" pads aren't going to make a dent in it unless you have superb technique. For spot repairs I'd go to a smaller pad like 4". 5.5" is good for all around work. Wet sanding would be my last resort.

I'm fortunate to have several polishers. See if someone near you has one you can borrow or that they might be willing to help you out. My PC wears small pass with an extension permenantly for those thought to reach areas. I pretty much use Flex polishers for everything else (DAs & RB).

TundraPower
06-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Ok, so that's what I didn't understand about your post and still don't after this above explanation. Is the acid supposed to eat the clear or is that done with the Nanoskin? I can't feel anything on the paint, meaning my paint is polished smooth but the spots are still there.

The post from TundraPower about wet sanding makes more sense to me to remove clear and thus the etched water spot stains.

Sorry for my confusion in advance.

Nothing wrong with Car Pro Spotless, it certainly works, I'm just not into the "acid" part. That's just how I roll. Wet sand this with Trizact 5000. If that doesn't work try 3000 then finish back with 5000. Polish back to gloss with whatever you like. It might take 30 minutes.

keo
06-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Does a PC7424XP help at all? I have access to one but don't have any 5.5" pads past LC white. Seems like I would still need something heavier. I also have Menzurna PG, IP, and FF if that would doing anything here.

I get that either I need to go down the Spotless / Nanoskin route or wet sanding but it sounds like my PC isn't enough to do either. Do I need a Flex or would something like the GG 3" work?