PDA

View Full Version : Detailing

Pages : [1] 2

detailman707
06-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Hi, I'm new here so I don't know if I'm posting in the right section or not. Aside that, I have a lot of questions regarding detailing.

1) Should I detail the vehicle inside the garage or can I do it outside?
2) Is it okay to detail in 80-90 degree weather?
3) I'm planning on using Klasse products...how should I prep and work the product?
4) What type of pad should I use? Microfiber or Foam? Both?

So lets see if I get the process correct... Wash it, clay bar, compound, polish, and then wax?

Coopers ST
06-25-2014, 10:32 PM
1. I wash outside only because I don't have a drain in my garage. Once washed and dried I move it inside to do the rest.
2. Don't see why not, some places it never gets much cooler than that and people still wax their cars.
3. Wash, ironX type product, clay with either a clay bar or one of those nanoskin autoscrub towels, then you should be set.
4. I use Lake County flat pads.
yes you have the correct process.

detailman707
06-25-2014, 10:44 PM
I have a Harbor Freight tools DA Polisher, will that do the job adequately?
Do you have a link to the pads I should use for the job? I'm going to try to remove as many swirls and oxidation as possible. What type of microfiber should I use to wipe off the product? Is there a certain method to removing these chemicals?
So wash, ironX the body, clay bar it, then start on the Klasse All-in-One using my DA Polish, then the Klasse Sealant, then Collinite #845 wax. How does that sound?

06-25-2014, 11:49 PM
I'd start here:
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

wdmaccord
06-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Do you have a link to the pads I should use for the job? I'm going to try to remove as many swirls and oxidation as possible. What type of microfiber should I use to wipe off the product? Is there a certain method to removing these chemicals?
So wash, ironX the body, clay bar it, then start on the Klasse All-in-One using my DA Polish, then the Klasse Sealant, then Collinite #845 wax. How does that sound?

Other polishers are better like Griots or PC, but others on here have been able to get results with HF. Maybe you can post some pics of your paint so we know what you are dealing with?

If you are using Klasse AIO, then you are already getting your sealant. All in one means it polishes and seals with the one product. I wouldn't see any need to put Coll 845 on top as it is also a sealant. You could add some carnauba wax on top of the AIO for additional protection and depth of shine.

Since you are talking about removing oxidation and swirls, I would recommend you pick up Meguiars M105 and M205 -or- Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. After these, you could finish with Coll 845 (or Klasse sealant if you prefer). Use an orange lake country pad with M105 or Ultimate Compound and white lake country pad with M205 or Ultimate Polish.

hernandez.art13
06-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Just a friendly heads up, I think it would be easier to read your questions if you use the Enter key in between questions. I think there is a link somewhere, let me see if I could find it for you.

or

Do you have a link to the pads I should use for the job?

I'm going to try to remove as many swirls and oxidation as possible.
What type of microfiber should I use to wipe off the product?

Is there a certain method to removing these chemicals?

So wash, ironX the body, clay bar it, then start on the Klasse All-in-One using my DA Polish,

then the Klasse Sealant, then Collinite #845 wax. How does that sound?

hernandez.art13
06-26-2014, 04:11 AM
Found it! I am getting pretty good at this lol. I don't really use the Search Button on AGO. I just Google the thread I am looking for and type in AutogeekOnline.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html

hernandez.art13
06-26-2014, 04:36 AM
Hi, I'm new here so I don't know if I'm posting in the right section or not. Aside that, I have a lot of questions regarding detailing.

1) Should I detail the vehicle inside the garage or can I do it outside?

I've done vehicles outside, I just woke up really early and did as much as possible until the paint started to get to hot to keep working on it. If it's cold/warm enough to keep your hand on for a good amount of time. That could be a good indicator/strategy to tell let you know if you could keep going or if you have to stop. If it is in fact to hot to keep your hand on there, then just stop and start again another time.

2) Is it okay to detail in 80-90 degree weather?

Touch the paint and do like I said above. Also decrease your working area if the temperature is starting to rise.

3) I'm planning on using Klasse products...how should I prep and work the product?

never used them so :dunno:

4) What type of pad should I use? Microfiber or Foam? Both?

This is just my opinion, you could have every pad ever created from the beginning of time. Each one should do the job as advertised, but as I've learned having a lot of different tools in your arsenal for different types of jobs if you start working on other types of cars. Won't be such a bad thing. Those are just my thoughts and hope that helps some.

So lets see if I get the process correct... Wash it, clay bar, compound, polish, and then wax?

Those are the steps you can do, but I've found there are always in between steps or after steps. Like Final Polish, Topping the wax with another wax. Heck at times you can or should skip steps if the jobs calls for it. Like a 1 step, 2 step, 3 step etc...,

If the above has confused you, then no worries. I, like I am sure a lot of others here were in the same boat. Stick around, read, participate, go try what you learned and then come back with even more questions. Then just take a break and do it again. :xyxthumbs:

and you'll learn as you go, just stick around and this whole Detail Gig will be second nature.

Art :props:

detailman707
06-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I've used M105 and M205 on black paint before...did a pretty good job but I could still see swirls in the paint... My coworker suggested I use Klasse so I think I'll go for it.

BradsDetailing
06-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Klasse aio will not remove swirls. It is a chemical cleaner and not a polish. This means it will remove things such as water spots. It won't remove swirls because it has nothing in it to remove the clear coat.

I personally use klasse and love them for their cost and durability. Just make sure you use a damp applicator and less is more.

06-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I've used M105 and M205 on black paint before...did a pretty good job but I could still see swirls in the paint... My coworker suggested I use Klasse so I think I'll go for it.

May I suggest Menzerna FG400 instead of M105 for your mustang, it finishes way better than M105 on our paint. In fact, after FG400, its LSP ready!

Skimmer0220
06-26-2014, 09:03 AM
May I suggest Menzerna FG400 instead of M105 for your mustang, it finishes way better than M105 on our paint. In fact, after FG400, its LSP ready!

I second this, I used FG400 on my mother-in-laws black mustang and after I did my test spot it was lsp ready

hernandez.art13
06-26-2014, 01:15 PM
I was doing a 1 step job. But then had to bump it the cut some for a small section.

So what I used was fg400 I then wondered if I could follow it with D151.

So I used a LC orange pad with FG400. I then used D151 with a LC white pad. (As my polishing and waxing step)

And viola it worked!

detailman707
06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Dumb question but what does LSP ready mean?

On a side note, I washed the Mustang this afternoon.
Pics:
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg499/DBrink03/Washedcars001_zps691dc252.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/DBrink03/media/Washedcars001_zps691dc252.jpg.html)
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg499/DBrink03/Washedcars004_zpsa9c4a2ba.jpg (http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/DBrink03/media/Washedcars004_zpsa9c4a2ba.jpg.html)

06-26-2014, 11:13 PM
Last Step Product - wax sealant etc...

No such thing as dumb question here!