PDA

View Full Version : Polishing/sealing glass questions

ch35iM
06-25-2014, 12:18 PM
I had some wiper scratches on the far left side of my windshield as well as some water spots ( got hit with sprinkler) that I wanted to polish out, so last week I got some griots 6" glass polish pads, put them on my griots DA and used some Meguiar's ultimate compound to try and smooth everything out (as I've realized the mother's water spot remover works for water spots but not scratches). A long story short the water spots are taken care of but the wiper marring was untouched by the UC.. Any tips on removing these marks?

Also I'm confused as to why water now "sticks" to my glass after polishing, it used to bead up and fly off nicely without any rainx
or sealant applied for over a year. After polishing the water sheets and sticks to the windshield so much it's as if I was spraying a hose on a carpet, I've never seen anything so bad and it's impossible to see through when it's wet. RainX Fixes this problem but I'm still confused as to why the polishing causes the sheeting/sticking... Shouldn't polishing give the beading effect of a sealant, at least temporarily, since it makes the glass smooth? Or is glass supposed to "absorb" water when polished smooth with no sealant? Thanks for all your thoughts.

Tato
06-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Think about a glass coating after polishing:

Here's Mike's new thread using the DP coating, I use the Black Label glass coating for the same purpose:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/autogeek-velocity-channel-tv/82135-glass-cleaning-coating-my-classic-car-dennis-gage.html

To remove scratches from windshield, you'll need a product containing cerium oxide (sorry if misspelled), from CarPro, it's called CeriGlass.

Here is the link to Mike's thread:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74935-how-remove-scratches-glass-wiper-scratches-beach-sand.html

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.

Tato
06-25-2014, 12:39 PM
This thread also contains great info regarding glass and CeriGlass:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/52179-autowerx-ceriglass-guide.html

!

vandau
06-25-2014, 12:58 PM
You'll need the Ceriglass for the scratches. I plan on doing a windshield following swanicyouth's post on polishing. He used the Griot DA but with Carpro pads. Like you, I'll be using the DA and Griot pads.

REMOVAL of Glass Scratches with CarPro and a Griots DA (www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/58269-removal-glass-scratches-carpro-griots-da.html)

ch35iM
06-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks, the ceriglass is probably what I was missing. That should work ok with the griots DA and glass pads right?

Also I guess that even properly polished glass will not bead water without a sealant, am I correct?

Tato
06-25-2014, 08:55 PM
I think you are correct, but I always finish polishing my glass with a cleansing polish, wash the car, then coat it.

During wash, glass would present the effect you're relating, but I've just used a product supposed to leave the surface squeaky clean and free of oils... I can't answer if after using any polish it'll happen the same.

Kind Regards.