PDA

View Full Version : Collinite longevity? Can 915 really last longer than 845?

Pages : [1] 2

MDX Detailing
06-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Last December I polished and waxed my dad's black kia optima with poorboys polish with sealant followed by 845. It looked amazing! Yesterday I saw the kia was still beading pretty good after six months! It went through a harsh winter here in pa too! The car is garage kept and hand washed weekly, with application of griots spray wax 2 or 3 times this spring.

I've got a new can of 915 and have used it once on a customers black ram. I do think it looked nicer than 845. If I am correct collinite says 915 should last longer, but I'm having trouble believing that's gonna be possible.

Anyone have any experience with the 2 in comparison?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

RTexasF
06-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I don't have a direct comparison but Collinite says that #476S is their most durable product.

#915 says "Look for exceptional durability and a price that’s hundreds less than other boutique brands."

"Surpasses other high-end waxes in both durability and value"

To me that does not specifically say it will outlast 845 Insulator Wax. In fact it isn't specific at all. They do indicate this is their show car wax so to speak with the highest carnauba concentration..

MDX Detailing
06-25-2014, 10:04 AM
It is on the faq page on cilollinites site.

MDX Detailing
06-25-2014, 10:06 AM
http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/

FUNX650
06-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Last December I polished and waxed my dad's black kia optima with poorboys polish with sealant followed by 845. It looked amazing! Yesterday I saw the kia was still beading pretty good after six months!...

with application of griots spray wax 2 or 3 times this spring.

I've got a new can of 915 and have used it once on a customers black ram. I do think it looked nicer than 845. If I am correct collinite says 915 should last longer, but I'm having trouble believing that's gonna be possible.

If you treat the #915 with the same spray-on wax regimen, as you have the #845...it's possible.

However...On the other hand:
By use of the spray-on wax regimen, you have...IMHO:
Invalidated/skewed the Collinite's characteristics, and resulting review---beading, longevity, or otherwise.

Bob

RTexasF
06-25-2014, 10:28 AM
FAQs » Collinite (http://www.collinite.com/about-us/faqs/)

Didn't see that, thank you.
With this statement "No. 845- easiest of the 3 to apply/remove with slightly less durability than the No. 915" what does that really mean? Two weeks? Two months? I do understand what you're asking but I must wonder how important/substantial the difference in durability is with the many variables involved?

From a production standpoint I would go with the easiest to use with good durability which says #845 to me. For the best look and slightly (whatever that is) more durability then #915 would be the way to go.

I realize none of this helps answer you since I have not put the two against each other and tested for durability....just reading what Collinite says and trying to interpret it sensibly.

MDX Detailing
06-25-2014, 10:52 AM
I know that's not a perfect review of longevity, but it has been over a month since my dad did spray wax app. And I know griots spray doesn't last that long.

I didn't feel 915 was any harder to remove actually. I think using the tin is easier than bottle. Since I often have to warm the bottle up to use it.

I'm tempted to do a half and half on my truck with each.

BillyJack
06-25-2014, 07:34 PM
I have all three on the shelf and my experience has been just what Collinite publishes. Both pastes outlast the liquid, with 476 at the top. I can't give you exact time measurements, since I never leave a car untouched until the wax is completely gone, but I can say that 476 got me from October through May on a non-garaged DD this past winter in PA, while 845 gave up around March the year before. Can't comment on 915, as that's one of my summer choices. 915 topped with Fuzion did go from July until a redo in April on my Camino, but garage queens don't count.

Bill

thorsager
06-25-2014, 08:27 PM
I have not used 845 yet but I like the durability of 476s. I applied it to a Dodge Ram in early November and it lasted until the first week in April when I detailed the truck again. It is a daily driver and sits out 24/7 here in PA. Collinite 915 is my favorite paste wax. I really cannot compare the two because the vehicles I use it on are garaged as well but I like the shine of 915.

WAXOFF
06-25-2014, 09:46 PM
I have used all 3 for over 30 years. Always great results.

Desertnate
06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
I got over six months from 845 on a DD that lived through worst winter in St Louis in over 40 years and only saw a garage at night. I applied it in November and it was still going strong in May when I polished it off. That was with a single coat. The car saw repeated touchless car washes with their harsh detergents and spent long periods encased in salt/winter road grime.

915 is really appealing to me. I'd like to try a more "show car"-like wax on my black car to see how it would look compared to 845 without spending a fortune.

Klasse Act
06-26-2014, 08:26 AM
I have used all 3 for over 30 years. Always great results.

Anyone on the fence about Collinite?....you've been pushed OFF the fence!

What an endorsement!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Stittville Ed
06-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Collinite is one of the few wax's that would last the entire winter in Upstate New York in the late 60's on your brand new Muscle Car that you had to drive all winter..............

They still are at the same location in Utica and you can walk right in and buy your wax and get advice on how to apply/remove it.

Great group of guys

ch35iM
06-26-2014, 08:39 AM
I use 476s on my BMW, I usually re wax every 6 months out of habit but the car never actually needs it. It's garaged and I use spray wax frequently so under those conditions I honestly feel this wax could easily last over a year, probably more. It's amazing! Pain in the ass to apply though

MarkD51
06-26-2014, 09:17 AM
I've used all of them as well over the years, all great. Don't depend on any of them as a cleaner wax though.

I would say the variance in longevity between all of them is not too drastic, that #845, supposedly the least durable of the 3 also protects for a long time.

As for the pastes, I've always had easier application by dampening the applicator. For years I used it with just standard Cotton-MF Applicators, but I think it spread thinner and more even with a Foam Applicator.

Don't "grind" the pad into the wax. Although they are hard pastes, doing such will most likely have you applying too much product onto the Applicators. As many would suggest for removal, do the swipe test with a finger.

Yes, they might work you a little bit more on removal than say a pure Sealant such as Menzerna Powerlock, or WGDGPS 3.0, they're not that bad IMO, and all the Collinite Products have always wiped of clean quickly for me, no matter what I put them on. No hazing, clouding or streaking left behind, just a nice rock hard, yet buttery smooth feeling shell of protection