PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify and fix this paint blemish

Pages : [1] 2

Jess159
06-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone.
First post here and a quick hello before we kick things off.

I've got this odd looking blemish on the right corner of the front bumper, it's been there since we bought the car and have never done much about it.

It feels flat and equal to the rest of the paint's surface, not bumpy or gritty and does shine/reflect like the rest of the paintwork after a nice wash&wax. You can really only tell its there with adequate lighting. Unable to tell if its above or below the clear coat.

I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Which hasnt seemed to help. Done some wetsanding with 1500grit on one end of this blemish and went over it with the Ultimate Compound again to get rid of the wetsanding marks but that thing is still there and beginning to annoy me.

I've darkened the first photo so you can see it better.
The car was professionally detailed (clay bar, cut, polish, with machine buffer, etc...) just over 3 months ago which didnt take it off either.
Notice how its a square angle shape, unsure how it got there or what it could be.

http://s29.postimg.org/9n7sf1txz/IMG_0738s.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/amy3ar93r/IMG_0733.jpg

Evan.J
06-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Two thing popped into my head either a burn through of the clear because you said there is not shine or gloss to the areas or a bad blend of a repaint.

When you did polish the area did you see any paint transfer onto the pad?

Jess159
06-25-2014, 08:41 AM
Two thing popped into my head either a burn through of the clear because you said there is not shine or gloss to the areas or a bad blend of a repaint.

When you did polish the area did you see any paint transfer onto the pad?

Thanx for the quick reply.
i probably didnt word my post correctly, i meant to say, the 'spot' does have the same gloss, shine and reflection as the rest of the car does, but you can still tell its there. If you run your hand over the paint, you won't even know its there, the surface feels the same as the rest of the panel.

I use Meguiar's Ultimate Compound & Ultimate Polish by hand, the applicator pads never pick up any of the paint, however don't seem to help what i have here as much as they are good products.

Romach
06-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Could it be a problem with the clear coat as in its going to breakdown?

Bird dirt sometimes leaves holograms in the clear coat.

I would try either pbl or Wolfgang to polish it out

Tato
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
You said that already sanded and polished, then the car was detailed and it still there...

From the pics, it's looks like something that can be removed.

Can you take a picture using a flashlight / swirl finder light over the area so we can take a better look?

Take this example:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/kia-spaw2.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/77694)

Using the light I was able to see further on a blemish that looked like yours without the light. In this case, it was caused by lack of ability rotary polishing, and it went away after 2-step polishing.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards.

Jess159
06-25-2014, 09:32 PM
Here's a new pic after its been washed, and rubbed with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound + Ultimate Polish and washed again. Doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

http://s28.postimg.org/giup0vcot/IMG_0765_Copy.jpg

You can barely see it in photos, however it can be seen in person.
It has no feel or grit to it, and its pretty much fused to the paint.
The only way to get rid of it would be to respray, however that's not feasible for only one blemish. Ive used the compound by hand several times, with both light and medium pressure and it's still there, the compound did get out the wetsanding marks however.

Evan.J
06-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Was the bumper ever repainted?

Definitely seem to be an issues in the base coat

Jess159
06-25-2014, 09:37 PM
i have no idea to be honest, i wouldn't say so but.

Tato
06-25-2014, 09:37 PM
From this angle it seems to be some kind of starting clear coat failure, paint burn, or a poor repaint job underneath... Unfortunately now I tend to believe it won't be fixed by polishing.

Please, my answer is not definitive since it's very hard to say from a picture (different from looking a thorax radiography hahaha).

Let us know.

Kind Regards.

WAXOFF
06-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Try taking a hair dryer and heating that area. It looks like some moisture under the clear. Have seen it many times as I work at a dealership.

Jess159
06-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Try taking a hair dryer and heating that area. It looks like some moisture under the clear. Have seen it many times as I work at a dealership.

Havent heard that one before, guess its worth a shot then.
It doesnt get much sunlight since is parked inside a lot of the time.
When you look at it very up close the spot looks like its made up of little pores in the paintwork, moisture could be a possibility but how would it have gotten under the coat?

Not being the first owner, i can't tell if it's ever had anything done to the paintwork, i would doubt it but because the paintwork looks and feels the same throughout the car. Plus these cars come with a clear film along the sides of the wheel arches to protect from stonechips and it didnt look like they've ever been replaced until i got around to doing them and peeling off the old discolored ones. You'd need to take them off to respray car, though there aren't any on the front bumper, i still doubt it's been pulled off and had a respray, considering it's fairly scratched underneath there.

Thanx again everybody for such rapid replies.
Ive also got these pics on the Meguair's forum since i'm using their stuff to try get it out. Somebody over there said it could be burn from excessive or rough machine polish, though being a square shape makes it unlikely.

Its quite difficult to see it in photos, it's fairly visible in person however you wouldnt spot it out unless you were looking for it since it's quite seamless, doesn't have a feel or grit to it and after its been washed and polished, shines like the rest of the car. To see it in person at its full glory you have to be at the right angle.
As promising as the ultimate compound is, constantly pampering the spot with it won't get it out, same with a traditional cut + polish by machine.

edit:

Here's some pics taken from about 2 meters away at different angles. From this distance in a photo you can't really see it.
This is the problem when detailing becomes an addictive hobby :P

http://s7.postimg.org/yzy5qxa7v/IMG_0755_Copy.jpg

http://s7.postimg.org/hldxind2z/IMG_0762_Copy.jpg

rmagnus
06-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Your best bet is take it to a reputable paint shop and see what they say. It's too hard to say from the pictures. You may just want to leave it be.

Jess159
06-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Your best bet is take it to a reputable paint shop and see what they say. It's too hard to say from the pictures. You may just want to leave it be.

True, i wont be spending any more time or wasting any more product on it, unless there's some sort of a miracle paint cure that you can just spray on and have the thing looking showroom new again :props:

DBAILEY
06-26-2014, 02:00 AM
Is it a shadow from a decal sticker or magnet that the previous owner had there? Seems like weird place to put one though.

swanicyouth
06-26-2014, 03:00 AM
It looks to me like some type of "Smart Bumper Repair", like the kind the dude does on the dealer lot with the little airbrush gun. Silver/grey always seems to me very hard to match the exact paint shade - body shops are terrible at it...So, I'm guessing "Joe the Bumper Repair Guy" isn't any better.