PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat and Cquartz UK. Is there a significant difference in glossiness?

Harry Da Hamster
06-22-2014, 11:52 PM
As many of you folks know, Opti Coat II is touted as the most durable coating available. CarPro touts Cquartz UK as the clearest and therefore the glossiest coating available. To those with experience with both coatings: Is there really a significant difference in the appearance of these two coatings?

Edit: Second question. I have almost a full bottle of left over Opti Coat II from my previous car. Used a tiny amount for only the rims. The Opti Coat II is probably one year old and it was probably opened 6 months ago. Always kept in a dark and dry cabinet. Is it still good?

builthatch
06-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Edit: Second question. I have almost a full bottle of left over Opti Coat II from my previous car. Used a tiny amount for only the rims. The Opti Coat II is probably one year old and it was probably opened 6 months ago. Always kept in a dark and dry cabinet. Is it still good?

you mean a syringe of 2.0?

if so, as long as it hasn't hardened or gelled, it's surely a-ok.

TroyScherer
06-23-2014, 09:18 AM
To my eyes I think CQUK has a slight edge in the gloss and looks. But OC is better in terms of durability.

As long as it air tight and the liquid is still clear and not a gel, you should be fine.

RobZ71LM7
06-23-2014, 09:24 AM
I'm the guy that normally cannot tell a difference between LSP's and I think CQUK, DP, and Duragloss Enviroshield look better than OC 2.0 CQUK gives a darker, glassier look. It's one of the few LSP's I think actually does anything for the appearance in my eyes.

What exciting times we live in as detailers/enthusiasts.

Harry Da Hamster
06-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Third question and were done! Can i coat vinyl wrapped areas with Opti Coat II? My roof is gloss black wrapped.

I've made my decision to coat the painted body panels with CQUK and coat the wheels with the left over Opti Coat II.

Stampe
06-23-2014, 05:26 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/u5yraqy5.jpg

Yes, i coated this wraped roof :)

silverfox
06-23-2014, 05:42 PM
CQUK absolutely darkened my paint. I polished it off because of that reason alone on my car. Darkening may be an asset to some but it ruined the look of my red jewel tint coat. I now have the new DG coating and it doesn't change the look on my car. The gloss is remarkable. To most this isn't an issue but when you spend good money on a factory paint option you want the color to stay as is.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-23-2014, 05:46 PM
CQUK will absolutely darken your paint.
Agreed. It very noticeable darkens the paint.

builthatch
06-23-2014, 10:24 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/24/u5yraqy5.jpg

Yes, i coated this wraped roof :)

http://www.djjohnnym.com/serato/clap.gif

builthatch
06-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Third question and were done! Can i coat vinyl wrapped areas with Opti Coat II? My roof is gloss black wrapped.

yes. the only thing is for matte or satin films, you will find that Opti-Coat adds some gloss and with some films, like 1080 black carbon, it can darken them a bit.

i coat 1080 carbon film with Opti-Coat and it works wonderfully.

glen e
06-23-2014, 10:33 PM
CQUK did not darken my cyber grey at all, I own both and CQUK is more glassy than OC2.0. But I love oc2 for the wheels...