PDA

View Full Version : '14 F150 OC 2.0 paint prep questions

boatmangc
06-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Build date 5/14
I bought it Wednesday, washed, and clayed yesterday

No swirls visible with my swirl finder.
This will be a DD for my wife so total show car finish isn't really an option, I am looking to get long term protection for a vehicle that isn't treated like my Marauder.

Questions are,
1) do you think there is any waxes, sealants on it. (I wouldn't let the dealer even wash it before I took it)

2) my plan this morning is to do a ONR quick wash then an IPA wipe down, is that enough before applying IPA?

VP Mark
06-22-2014, 07:53 AM
That should work. Wash, clay, IPA should be fine if there is no polishing needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

Just02896
06-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Without knowing for sure whether the paint surface is bare, and taking into account the fact that you need a clean surface for OC to bond to, I would highly recommend doing a once over with a good paint cleaner and DA.

Wheelzntoys
06-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Or a once over with an Optimum polish, amp up the gloss.

Use Polish II, Hyper Polish, or Finish so that you don't have to strip polishing oils and residue

boatmangc
07-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Truck came out awesome! Now I have a freshly repainted tonneau cover on it, how long should I let the paint cure before sealing it up?

HateSwirls
07-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Being you don't know for sure I'd clay it then use a really fine Polish, maybe Optimum Fine Polish would do the trick then apply your preferred last step.

I bought the all new 2014 Mirage this past April, I did just that.
At least it would give you peace of mind.

My new car came with defects, swirls mostly.

I did the following as soon as I got it home.

Two bucket wash using Chemical Guys Maxi-Suds
Removed contaminants using my prep towel
Used the Wolfgang Uber Compound along with my PC and a Lake Country Flat white pad on the bad areas and the Meguiar's 205 on most of the car.
Sealed it using the Wolfgang Glossy Paint Sealant
Sealed all of my exterior trim using the Wolfgang Trim Sealant , all of it, this was done on April 15th and to date my trim still beads very well.

Now I maintain it using the DP Rinseless Wash, CG's P-40 which I really love.

For me prepping it my way made assured me my new car was all protected.

Thanks to Autogeek for offering us the best products on the market:dblthumb2:

boatmangc
07-07-2014, 05:40 AM
My concerns is cure time on the newly painted tonneau before applying a permanent OC 2.0 treatment.