PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra?

JeffW
03-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Not referring to a Victoria Secret product, but ones for cars, like the 3M product. I see that you guys don't carry one, so I was wondering whether you either have plans to pick up a line in the NEAR future or if you can refer me to someone? My preference would be for you guys to pick up a line, but I'd settle for a personal recommendation :)

JeffW

Hawhyen51
03-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Do a search on Google for Paint Protection Film. There are a number of vendors who sell pre-cut kits for numerous makes and models. Some of these vendors like Xpel are nationwide and have authorized installation shops. Best bet is to check locally first for any shop/installers and find out what brand they they use. You can also use the following link to find a 3M certified installer (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/%21ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3Mg4CSYGYxqb6kW hCjhgiRsZeGGKW7liU-SDEfD3yc1P1g1Lz4kOD9b31A_QLckOBIKLc0VFREQAkbHo5/delta/base64xml/L0lJYVEvd05NQUFzQURzQUVBLzRJVUZDQSEhLzZfMF8yM0svZW 5fVVM%21) closest to you.

PPF installation is similar to window tint except that you're not working a flat surface. IMO, shaping/stretching the film to the contour of your vehicle's curves and bends should be left to a pro.

MasterShineBoy
03-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Not referring to a Victoria Secret product,

JeffW

Damnit, you got me all worked up for nothing.. Good going Jeff!

JeffW
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Damnit, you got me all worked up for nothing.. Good going Jeff!

Sorry :(

Hawhyen51 - Thanks for the info. Didn't realize these should be installed by a pro installer, although now that I think about it it makes sense.

MasterShineBoy
03-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Just to let you know, you can wax them like anyother part of your car!

Matt
03-13-2006, 12:28 PM

Right...just make sure there are no swirls on the panit before that thing goes on..that would REALLY suck!

JeffW
03-13-2006, 02:03 PM

Yep, seen some posts along that regard. I have a new deep royal blue car and already have a couple rock chips, that of course, stand out like a sore thumb. My previous commuter car is magnesium metallic, and it didn't show the chips nearly as bad. I told my wife I wanted the silver 06 Civic, but she was insistent that I get the blue, which is really good looking.

MasterShineBoy
03-14-2006, 01:07 AM
You will still get marks for rocks that are hit, it just won't remove the paint. Rocks still do damage, but the paint is held on by the clear bra.

cabo5150
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I saw this at an auto show and there is a very distinct line where the bra ends. I didn't think it looked good at all. So the trade off is stone chips or crappy looking bra.

JeffW
04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I saw this at an auto show and there is a very distinct line where the bra ends. I didn't think it looked good at all. So the trade off is stone chips or crappy looking bra.

Well, I decided not to go with a clear bra, at least not for my cars (the Mrs. has a b-day coming up soon ;) ).

Anyway, I put the vynl one on about 3 to 4 days each week and figure that'll reduce the damage somewhat. I do have some touch-up paint coming in and will see if, when applied with a tooth pick, I can sufficently hide some of the chips. Ugh. Should not have gotten a dark car for commuting.

BILL
04-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Colgan puts out a very nice bra...

http://www.autoseattle.com/colgan.htm