PDA

View Full Version : How do you get plast dip off?

MarkFJ40
06-21-2014, 04:45 PM
I clear plasti dipped the front of my car for winter to try and cut down on rock chips. I read you can use wd40 to soften it and then blow it off with a pressure washer. That might work if it has not been on as long as mine. Looking for other ideas. I tried goo gone and a bug and tar remover. It basically just spreads the dip around. The videos of people peeling it off in sheets make me laugh.

HateSwirls
06-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Goo Gone will take it right off.
Spray it until it absorbs it and watch it sort of melt away:)
Really works well and less messy than the WD-40

Not sure why the Goo Gone didn't work for you being it worked so well for me, that's why it's important to apply at least four coat of Plasti Dip, if you don't it breaks off in small pieces as you found out.

I used a plastic razor to remove the biggest part and a wet MF towel for the rest.

vanwecheldetail
06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Not sure why peeling it off in sheets makes you laugh? I plasti dipped the front end of my car and my wheels for the winter. This spring I peeled each section off in one piece. You just need to catch an edge.

If you can't peel it off in sheets it's possible you put it on too thin. How many coats did you apply. I believe they suggest 3-4 coats for proper thickness. The thicker the better when it comes time to remove.

MarkFJ40
06-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Not sure why peeling it off in sheets makes you laugh? I plasti dipped the front end of my car and my wheels for the winter. This spring I peeled each section off in one piece. You just need to catch an edge.

If you can't peel it off in sheets it's possible you put it on too thin. How many coats did you apply. I believe they suggest 3-4 coats for proper thickness. The thicker the better when it comes time to remove.

I put a ton on after reading that it is hard to take off when it is thin. It was more like 6-7 heavy coats. Might have been more. It has been on since Sept though. I will try soaking the goo gone more. Maybe soak a paper towel and hold it on.

ge0rge
06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
It will be tough to remove, though applying multiple coats initially will make it remove in a sheet versus a million little shredded pieces.

vanwecheldetail
06-21-2014, 06:04 PM
I put a ton on after reading that it is hard to take off when it is thin. It was more like 6-7 heavy coats. Might have been more. It has been on since Sept though. I will try soaking the goo gone more. Maybe soak a paper towel and hold it on.

Bummer, I guess I've never had that problem.

Hope the goo gone approach works well for you.

TurboToys
06-21-2014, 06:38 PM
couple of tips. wax/seal your stuff and let it cure before applying plastidip, makes removal tons easier, and as long as you let it roll over the edges during application you won't get any coming up.

put on many layers, once you have good coverage, double it. the more you put on the easier it is to remove. the worst is trying to remove plastidip that would be put on thin, you basically have to rub it off. and we know how that works to help paint.

peeling it off won't hurt your paint as long as your paint didn't have a defect in the adhesion, if its stock paint, you should be perfectly fine

SYMAWD
06-21-2014, 07:13 PM
DYC Dip Dissolver. Plasti-dip will peel in one piece if you spray it thick enough. Get good coverage and then go another 4 coats or so.

MarkFJ40
06-21-2014, 09:24 PM
I spent the afternoon scraping half dissolved plasti dip and goo gone off my CTSV. Good times. Too many car washes and winter salt and road grime I think. Too many heat cycles? Pain in the ass either way. I polished and waxed it the week before. Put on lots of coats. I won't be doing that again.

Crispy2001
04-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Xylene eats . Normally Plasti-Dip peels off if it is applied thick enough (4-6 coats). It depends on how many small crevices are involved ( a hood sprayed with 2 coats will peel no problem, while a rim with lots of crevices needs 5-7 coats). I did a set of winter rims with black as a quick fix for the winter. I put on 5 coats. When I went to peel off the flat parts came off no problem, but the crevices were piece by piece. Xylene to the rescue. It is very hard on paint so you need to be careful not to soften the paint.

Crispy2001
04-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Xylene eats Plastic Dip . Normally Plasti-Dip peels off if it is applied thick enough (4-6 coats). It depends on how many small crevices are involved ( a hood sprayed with 2 coats will peel no problem, while a rim with lots of crevices needs 5-7 coats). I did a set of winter rims with black as a quick fix for the winter. I put on 5 coats. When I went to peel off the flat parts came off no problem, but the crevices were piece by piece. Xylene to the rescue. It is very hard on paint so you need to be careful not to soften the paint.

2011 Kona Blue
04-30-2015, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=GearHead_1]I think I missed the engine pic. Was there supposed to be a link?[/QUOTE"]Nah" no engine pic but dont give up on it;) http://cars.537wine.biz/

Goo Gone. Takes it right off