PDA

View Full Version : Aquapel question

koj11
06-20-2014, 05:17 PM
I treated my windshield with Aquapel today. I think perhaps I was moving too slowly and maybe also because I was in the sun, but at first it really clouded up the whole windshield. I followed the directions using paper towels to take it off, but it was tough and required quite a bit of elbow grease. I kept working at it and it buffed off, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not with this product, as I've never used it before.

Also, can I use my regular glass cleaner (Stoners) or will that remove the Aquapel?

I don't want it to rain because I just washed my car, but I really want to see how the Aquapel works. Quite the conundrum!

BlackHawk
06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Aquapel has always been a pain for me to put on as well, takes forever to get rid of the streaks. But the end results are amazing :D

MarkD51
06-20-2014, 06:07 PM
I treated my windshield with Aquapel today. I think perhaps I was moving too slowly and maybe also because I was in the sun, but at first it really clouded up the whole windshield. I followed the directions using paper towels to take it off, but it was tough and required quite a bit of elbow grease. I kept working at it and it buffed off, but I'm wondering if this is normal or not with this product, as I've never used it before.

Also, can I use my regular glass cleaner (Stoners) or will that remove the Aquapel?

I don't want it to rain because I just washed my car, but I really want to see how the Aquapel works. Quite the conundrum!

Yeah, this stuff flashes immediately, you have to work like the Android DATA on Star Trek to at least cover the windshield with one "wingette".

I myself thought this stuff was nothing to really write home about. Plus it's also sort of expensive.

But as they say, prep is everything.

Just like paint, do the plastic baggie test on your glass. You might be surprised. The crud that might be adhered I think causes more problems, than what treatment you might throw on your glass.

Lots of people simply go on to throw their fav wax, sealant, coating, etc. And to tell the truth, these really don't work that much worse. Things to pay attention to is wiper blade chatter. This can be caused by different things of course. Sap, that's usually one of your biggest enemies. Can't easily see if, but you will feel it with the baggie test.

While I have used Rain-X on many vehicles, and love the stuff because it's easy, it's relatively cheap, and it's easily gotten, I've often encountered Wiper Chatter with it.
But, it has really saved my butt a couple times.

No matter what you do, it all eventually wears off, especially the windshield. Do continue on with Stoners, it's a good product.

The Sprayway is good too, and a shame it doesn't come in a non-aerosol can.

koj11
06-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info. My daughter was helping me and when the entire windshield looked like one big hazy cloud she gasped and said "Dad what did you do!?!".

iStig
06-21-2014, 08:31 PM
for me its very easy, but i always end up putting too much on one side and not enough on the other and it dries up before i can move the liquid over.

oldmodman
06-22-2014, 02:17 AM
I apply it in the garage while it is cool outside. It gives me plenty of working time to get it evenly applied and makes it quite easy to "polish off"
When I first tried it the car was outside and the glass was still hot from the days sun.

BobbyG
06-22-2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the info. My daughter was helping me and when the entire windshield looked like one big hazy cloud she gasped and said "Dad what did you do!?!".

This is very normal.

I spread the solution across the entire windshield going over it several times and moving right along. Once I'm satisfied with the coverage I usually have enough for the rear window or the door windows.

Paper towels seem to soak up any residual solution leaving behind a haze. You can either use fresh paper towels for the second pass to remove the haze or grab a couple of microfiber towels and rub briskly until the haze is gone.

Aquapel lasts a good 6 months here in New England and through a harsh winter to boot. I include an application of this on each detail I do and the customers always rave about it...:props:

ScottB
06-22-2014, 07:57 AM
I have used Aquapel and suggested it for at least 10 years. Here's what I have found to get perfect results.

1. Make sure cars glass is cool, and outside of direct sunlight
2. Clean and prep the glass with DP Glass Restorer (then remove)
3. Call wife, friend, or someone over to help !!
4. Crack applicator and immediately wipe drivers side up/down left/right --it gets grabby then drying
5. Move to passenger side and do the same very quickly
6. Have special other use paper towels (wipe any excess lightly off) -- these look like little dots of liquid
7. Buff off the cloudy residue with a MF towel

(You can then use one for all side windows and one for rear as desired)
Never had any chatter from wipers, unlike those other versions, and it should easily last 4-6 months or longer