PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat 2.0 vs PBL paint coating?

olenderc
06-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Between the two, would you say one offers superior protection? Over the past months/years that I've lurked on this forum, I've seen the paint coatings explode, and personally I ended up trying the PBL paint coating.

It seems, though, that as new coatings come and go that most people still gravitate towards Opti Coat. Am I just selectively noticing that myself or is there a superiority in this product? The only thing I know of is that it doesn't cure as slick as some other coatings, but is it better/comparable in shine/gloss to others as well as protection? I was hoping someone could fill me in on the finer details of their experiences compared to some of the newer paint coatings?

KneeDragr
06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
I dont think anyone has compared the two directly, but my guess is OC 2.0 is more durable but PBL is easier to apply and get right.

As far as gloss/shine goes - the condition of the paint will determine that more than the coating. That being said, people think OC tends to darken paint so I would guess that PBL would be a better 'looker'.

RobertJ34
06-20-2014, 10:29 AM
I have used PBL, I enjoyed it. Easy to use, great shine.

I can't speak for Opti-coat, although I am looking into getting it as it is a permanent coating.

PBL is not permanent, it is a "3 yr coating" (take into consideration climate, etc etc).

So my main point is, one is permanent, one is not. So, that is the huge difference here.

RobZ71LM7
06-20-2014, 10:31 AM
For durability its no contest-> Opti-Coat. Other coatings may have better looks, easier application or be slicker, but they are not "permanent" like Opti-Coat. I'm running a long term test right now, but I prefer OC 2.0 and CQUK over coatings like duragloss and DP.

The thing you have to decide is what's more important and will your polishing routine negate the longer term protection of opti-coat. I will say that coatings shed dirt so much easier that I find myself creating less paint defects during maintenance.