PDA

View Full Version : Those wondering about foam thickness and water hardness...

WRAPT C5Z06
06-20-2014, 10:13 AM
At times, I've read people are concerned that they're not getting thick enough foam. Most likely, it's the water is hard. When I run my foam lance through regular city water, the foam is a lot less thick compared to when I run it through my CR Spotless DI water filters. Hardness of water plays a clear part in how "thick" your foam may be. Just a little FYI.

jamesboyy
06-20-2014, 10:23 AM
You are definitely right the softness/hardness or your water does play a major roll in car washing that is why if you dont want to throw the big bucks out to get a spotless system then at least go get one of those inline filters from your hardware store that way you are getting more life from your product s along with making your vehicle very happy

swanicyouth
06-20-2014, 11:30 AM
So true...in case you were wondering why it's because soaps are sodium or potassium salts of long-chain fatty acids. Hard water contains calcium and magnesium ions. When soaps are dissolved in hard water, these ions displace sodium or potassium from their salts and form insoluble calcium or magnesium salts of fatty acids.

Niblick
06-20-2014, 11:33 AM
thanks for the posts guys, great info :dblthumb2:

WRAPT C5Z06
06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
So true...in case you were wondering why it's because soaps are sodium or potassium salts of long-chain fatty acids. Hard water contains calcium and magnesium ions. When soaps are dissolved in hard water, these ions displace sodium or potassium from their salts and form insoluble calcium or magnesium salts of fatty acids.
Hadn't a clue. Thanks. :dblthumb2: