PDA

View Full Version : Detailing car with clearcoat mixed into paint

King_Noodles
06-20-2014, 08:28 AM
My wife purchased a new car, and unlike my normal cars where it would have a layer of clearcoat above the paint this new car has paint that has the clear coat mixed into the paint.

Any tips/tricks to detailing it (eg: Polishing/waxing/ protecting the paint) ? I use a DA polisher for my car and truck and can provide a list of all the products and tools I have/use.

Thanks for any and all help!

Evan.J
06-20-2014, 08:32 AM
What kind of car will you be working on?

King_Noodles
06-20-2014, 08:42 AM
What kind of car will you be working on?

2014.5 Toyota Camry SE

Evan.J
06-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Ive never heard of the clear and paint being mixed together. Did you try doing a test spot at all?

GenesisCoupe
06-20-2014, 09:16 AM
Hmm....mixed in..some think that a single stage has clear mixed in, but that's not true..

Toyota..always coming up with something, then the recalls begin LOL

MadMerc
06-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Maybe it's a base coat with a tinted clear?

Spewing gibberish to confuse the NSA.

feslope
06-20-2014, 09:35 AM
My wife purchased a new car, and unlike my normal cars where it would have a layer of clearcoat above the paint this new car has paint that has the clear coat mixed into the paint.

Thanks for any and all help!What color?

King_Noodles
06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Ive never heard of the clear and paint being mixed together. Did you try doing a test spot at all?

According to her father (who works for toyota not on the dealer end but the corporate end) the paint has the clear coat mixed in, I did a once over of wax just to have a layer of protection on it since I was advised by him that the color has the clear mixed in and should always have either a sealant or a coat of wax (cmon why wouldnt I? this just makes sense lol) But never had any run ins with paint of a similar mix/makup

What color?

White (not a pearl like on the avalon just flat white with a gloss to it)

Evan.J
06-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a typical single stage white Toyota to me.

More often than not you will find that Toyota white is single stage for whatever reason.

You can polish the paint the same as you would anything else you will be getting white paint transfer on to the pads though, so proper cleaning is a must.

If its new and in good condition with minimal swirls and scratches then you can go with Menzerna 4000 or even M205 if you wanted then follow up with a sealant or wax. If you wanted to go with a coating I believe the Pinnacle Black Label works well with single stage paints.

King_Noodles
06-20-2014, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a typical single stage white Toyota to me.

More often than not you will find that Toyota white is single stage for whatever reason.

You can polish the paint the same as you would anything else you will be getting white paint transfer on to the pads though, so proper cleaning is a must.

If its new and in good condition with minimal swirls and scratches then you can go with Menzerna 4000 or even M205 if you wanted then follow up with a sealant or wax. If you wanted to go with a coating I believe the Pinnacle Black Label works well with single stage paints.

I put a coating of synthetic wax (meguiars ultimate paste wax) on it within a few hours of it coming off the truck that brought it to the dealer. But wasnt sure if it I would be better off stripping that off and putting down a layer of polish or sealant and another coat of synthetic wax with my polisher since she parks it outside and I'm not a fan of letting the UV of that bright circle in the sky crushing the paint of the car she worked hard(ish) to save up for a buy.

Still new to detailing as hardcore as you can get, I'm just used to wash->clay->polish->wax->Beer

Evan.J
06-20-2014, 10:47 AM
I put a coating of synthetic wax (meguiars ultimate paste wax) on it within a few hours of it coming off the truck that brought it to the dealer. But wasnt sure if it I would be better off stripping that off and putting down a layer of polish or sealant and another coat of synthetic wax with my polisher since she parks it outside and I'm not a fan of letting the UV of that bright circle in the sky crushing the paint of the car she worked hard(ish) to save up for a buy.

Still new to detailing as hardcore as you can get, I'm just used to wash->clay->polish->wax->Beer

Are you satisfied with how it looks and the protection you have provided for the car?

If the answer is Yes then I don't there is any other work that needs to be done.

If not then you should do a wash, clay, polish, then wax

King_Noodles
06-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Are you satisfied with how it looks and the protection you have provided for the car?

If the answer is Yes then I don't there is any other work that needs to be done.

If not then you should do a wash, clay, polish, then wax

Cool, thanks for the info. After thinking about it a while I'll most likely put a layer of polish and wax down just to keep it looking new and protected.

sayroger
07-18-2015, 08:50 PM
All non metallic painted cars from Toyota have no clear coat.

FUNX650
07-18-2015, 09:11 PM
I put a coating of synthetic wax (meguiars ultimate paste wax) on it within a few hours of it coming off the truck that brought it to the dealer. But wasnt sure if it I would be better off stripping that off and putting down a layer of polish or sealant and another coat of synthetic wax with my polisher since she parks it outside and I'm not a fan of letting the UV of that bright circle in the sky crushing the paint of the car
she worked hard(ish) to save up for a buy.

Keep up the (synthetic wax) maintenance program.
And:
Be sure to put paint protection film (PPF) on the
vehicle's most vulnerable areas, especially the front
clip, or she's going to get really p!$$ed in a very short
time when this thinly-applied-OEM-paint starts showing
evidence of rock chips and other road-rash "inflictments".

Bob

Mike@ShineStruck
07-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Never heard of that
newest type of paint i knownof is the water based paint..mot sure if they have waterbased clear coats yet.

Id just do a coating or atleast PA viking shield/spirtz