PDA

View Full Version : Plastic trim lower-body scratches, how to deal with them? (pics)

Pages : [1] 2

Tato
06-19-2014, 01:13 PM
Dear friends,

I don't know how those parts are properly called, but sometimes a picture will worth more than a thousand words.

Here we go:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/trim1.png

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/trim2.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/77559)

Is there anything that can be used to improve this? I'm afraid not (apart from clean and clay / dress)...

Thank you very much in advance,

Kind Regards.

Dr_Pain
06-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Those plastic fender trims can be "enhanced" with some products like UTTG or DLUX but you cannot fix the gouges or scratches other than by sanding the texture off of them. Best bet is sell a trim "enhancement" which should lighten the white markings. If it is just some embedded dirt in the texture or TOGW (you see first time using the new acronym you taught me) then APC and a detailing brush should help..... but what I see look like actual defects

Badlilstang
06-19-2014, 01:26 PM
I have some stuff like that on my door panels (interior). I will be watching this thread. Anyone use Dlux on door panels?

parttimer
06-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Mike Phillips had an article about this, i think the bottom line is you can only enhance it, not fix it then hide it.

Check this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/59327-how-restore-exterior-black-plastic-trim-2.html

Tato
06-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Awesome, thanks a lot everyone for answering.

I believe there's a mix of dirt and actual scratching, so I will do my best to improve it.

I'll try to put together a shownshine on this one, it's a 2013 Kia Sportage in Black.

The outcome of the trim (if any) will be included.

Thanks again, always a pleasure being able to get real time support while working,

Kind Regards.

allenk4
06-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Careful application of heat can minimize scratches like these

Just02896
06-19-2014, 06:59 PM
Careful application of heat can minimize scratches like these

I agree. I've CAREFULLY used a heat gun to make the high points of scratches lay down flat a few times now and it works great BUT... You must be very careful not to deform the shape of the plastic.

Tato
06-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Hmmm... got it. I'll take a look at the method proposed, but unfortunately this will not be the time for me to try. I'll try on a test trim before.

However, it's great to hear there must be a solution to improve those kind of scratches.

Thanks a lot my friends.

Kind Regards.

dcjredline
06-19-2014, 11:51 PM
I too have used heat to reduce the appearance of such scratches inside and out.

Tato
06-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks for 1 more feedback.

Can someone explain a bit regarding the technique used for the process?

Dr_Pain
06-20-2014, 09:40 AM
What they are describing is very tricky, and although I agree that it does slightly improve the look, it does not restore it, mainly because the texture of the piece was physically altered by the scratch. So although I do support the suggestion, I would have to warn to have realistic expectations since heating and manipulating the trim just a "bit" too much would definitely convert a small problem in a bigger one.

The mechanism in which the heat gun works is based on the fact that the damage to the plastic leaves micro/macroscopic "frayed" edges and the heat will melt those thin plastic edges into something that would not catch your eye as much. It is essentially the same process (although mechanical and not thermal) that we use to "blend" a RIDS. If you CAN'T safely a RIDS, you can at least feather it so that only a trained eye or a keen eye looking will find it.

When using the thermal method, you heat the plastic till what you perceive is the best you can do.... then you dress it (or coat it). Personally I would not run the chance of putting heat to it if a more conservative cleaning and coating (DLUX) would work ;)

Pureshine
06-20-2014, 10:23 AM
What they are describing is very tricky, and although I agree that it does slightly improve the look, it does not restore it, mainly because the texture of the piece was physically altered by the scratch. So although I do support the suggestion, I would have to warn to have realistic expectations since heating and manipulating the trim just a "bit" too much would definitely convert a small problem in a bigger one.

The mechanism in which the heat gun works is based on the fact that the damage to the plastic leaves micro/macroscopic "frayed" edges and the heat will melt those thin plastic edges into something that would not catch your eye as much. It is essentially the same process (although mechanical and not thermal) that we use to "blend" a RIDS. If you CAN'T safely a RIDS, you can at least feather it so that only a trained eye or a keen eye looking will find it.

When using the thermal method, you heat the plastic till what you perceive is the best you can do.... then you dress it (or coat it). Personally I would not run the chance of putting heat to it if a more conservative cleaning and coating (DLUX) would work ;)

:iagree: Not worth having to pay to fix it!

Old Tiger
06-20-2014, 10:58 AM

A safer method to feather the scratches in textured trim IME is to use CarPro Reflect and an orange pad on a DA. Try Speed 4 first and increase as needed. Wipe off residue immediately. This is another application of the BEST polish on the market!

allenk4
06-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Very nice explaination

zkilo
06-20-2014, 05:55 PM
check out U tube there is a good vid on how to use heat gun on plastic trim