PDA

View Full Version : Odd question: Taking detailing compounds as baggage onto plane?

user1029
06-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Hello I am planning to detail my rental car (Porsche 991 911 from Hertz LOL) since I'll be driving it for a week in California! I was going to bring my Porter Cable buffer and Megs 105 and Poorboy 1.0. It's a long shot but has anyone brought detailing compounds on a plane not as a carry on? Thanks

dsg03gt
06-19-2014, 10:00 AM
I never have but I don't see why it would be a problem if it isn't a carry on item.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Sherif
06-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Donno about the regulation there but I think polishes and compounds are ok, I know you can't take aerosol products or harsh cleaners with hazardous sign on the bottle like Sonax full effect.

EXTJosh
06-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I ran into this when I moved from Hawaii back to the mainland. I checked compounds, polishers, sealants and cleaners (windows, interior, APC's, degreasers) and had no issue. The only aerosol was my window cleaner. I called the airline prior and read the representative at the HAZMAT dept all the labels and she said I was fine. This was Delta airlines. I'd call to double tap but you should be good.

Paul A.
06-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Always good to check with the air carrier but even better to check the TSA website for the prohibited items stuff. The airline will be a good first check but even they aren't the TSA who is the final authority on air safety and have been known to say "good to go" only to have the customer on the destination end find the lovely little TSA calling card that said we searched your checked bag and removed prohibited items or what they thought were prohibited because they couldn't determine its charcteristics.

I have travelled with detailing supplies to go home to Mass to detail family cars and have experienced no issues. And one time when i had planned on doing 3 cars up north i shipped my supplies via UPS ahead of my travel. And you can carry on board liquids, gels and aerosols 3.4 ounces or less. If you can get away with only small amounts, i like to be able to discuss it with tye TSA at the passenger screening checkpoint in person.

user1029
06-19-2014, 11:01 PM
thanks guys :)