PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Problem

Pages : [1] 2

thenewguy
06-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to hand cleaning my car. I recently purchased a shiny new Subaru BRZ and read online that you really shouldn't be taking it through the car wash due to damage it can cause to the paint.

A few weeks ago I tried my first Optimum No Rinse 2-Bucket wash. I watched a bunch of youtube videos, read some articles and felt comfortable doing it. It seemed to go well enough and I didn't notice any problems. Spurred on by that, I decided to add Optimum Wax this time after cleaning it. Here's where it went south...

I had the car outside initially, but it was 80 degrees out, no clouds with the sun hammering down. By the time I was done with the wash I just couldn't stand to be out there anymore, so I took it into the garage to apply the wax. It was only after I had taken the car back out again that I realized I left streaks like the one attached in a bunch of places on the car.

Two questions. One, does anyone know if there's a good way to fix those streaks, or do I simply have to wait for the wax to wear off? Second, can someone give me pointers as to what I did wrong to cause them and how to avoid them in the future?

Thanks for helping the new guy!

Setec Astronomy
06-19-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm not really seeing what you are talking about--do you mean the little streaks on the black window trim?

thenewguy
06-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Well, it's right in the middle of the frame actually. The image quality made it difficult to catch, but easy to see with the eye. It basically looks like water smears that just don't evaporate.

Justin at Final Inspection
06-19-2014, 09:27 AM
From the sounds of it the paint wasn't cool enough when you applied the wax.

cleanmycorolla
06-19-2014, 09:35 AM
You have to work on paint that's cool to the touch, it was probably really hot after baking in the sun.

thenewguy
06-19-2014, 09:40 AM
gotcha. that could explain it. is there any way to easily take it off and reapply, or somehow remove those streaks?

GenesisCoupe
06-19-2014, 09:41 AM
I get good results with claying the car to remove such stuff from the paint, that is if the wash doesn't do the trick.

Jaretr1
06-19-2014, 09:44 AM
And apply thin! follow the instructions on the wax, but in general thin is in!

Setec Astronomy
06-19-2014, 10:01 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say to reapply more product to even out the appearance.

I still can't see what you're talking about in the picture, but IME OCW streaking looks like wetter or oily spots, or are you saying they are whitish spots from the product drying out in the sun?

Desertnate
06-19-2014, 10:16 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here and say to reapply more product to even out the appearance.

I still can't see what you're talking about in the picture, but IME OCW streaking looks like wetter or oily spots, or are you saying they are whitish spots from the product drying out in the sun?

I think I can see the spots he's talking about. I agree in theory, but would differ in my approach.

I'd actually start with a QD or spray wax first to see if that does the trick. I little product on a MF towels might even things out.

My garage has some of the worst lighting possible for doing detail work. I frequently find smears or other small flaws in daylight which didn't show in the garage. A walk around outside with a spray product (most often QD) is a must for me when finishing a job. 90% of the time it clears the issue right up.

hernandez.art13
06-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I can see them :D , plus I'm on my phone too lol

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/19/y6arumaq.jpg

I would just try a quick detailer to see if they wipe off that way. Just make sure the paint is cool to the touch.

It could have just been the rinseless product left behind and you didn't catch it till the end. Or left over rinseless that you didn't completely dry off that finally just streaked.

It doesn't necessarily look like the spray wax was the culprit. (Could be wrong, plus not having been there. I am just guessing) However, it looks more like undried water. Or rinseless in your case.

I wouldn't just let it sit there till it wears off though. It could somehow, someway stain. Then that'll be a bigger paint in the buttocks to deal with.

Sherif
06-19-2014, 10:26 AM
As said above your car was not cool enough, try ONR @ QD dilution or even more OCW as Setec said.. If that didn't work, try OPC @ 1:3 dilution

Setec Astronomy
06-19-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm going to...say to reapply more product to even out the appearance.

I agree in theory, but would differ in my approach. I'd actually start with a QD or spray wax first

Dude, how is that different? OCW IS a spray wax.

Kamakaz1961
06-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Optimum Spray Wax has to be applied onto the car when the car is "fairly" cool. When you had you car out in the sun and then brought it back to the garage....my guess your car was still too "hot". OSW is an excellent product. I use it on my Black GT. I usually make sure the car is not too hot.

To fix the problem...just re-spray OSW onto your car when it is cool or out of the sun. My suggestion is at dusk or dawn.

Once you figure out how to use OSW you will find out it is an awesome product!

There are some QD that can be used to clean up OSW if you want to use that 1st and then OSW...I would look into Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray or Duraglos Aquawax. However, my suggestion get used to OSW 1st. Save some time and money by re-spraying OSW when your car is cool and in the shade

thenewguy
06-19-2014, 10:37 AM
thanks for all the feedback!

yeah, it looks basically like wet spots that aren't wet. i also do recall the top of the car being REALLY hot after spraying the wax and wiping it, but didn't know that it had to be cooled.

i have a bottle of instant detailer, i'll give that a shot to see if it evens out the streaks.