PDA

View Full Version : Dealership made a huge mess >:(

SiliconX
06-19-2014, 08:38 AM
Howdy folks, it's been a very long time since I posted here but I've been really spending a lot of time re-aquainting myself with detailing since getting my new car (well it was new a year ago).

I have an issue though. A couple weeks ago I washed, clayed and put on a coat of Klasse AIO. Last Wednesday I took the car in for service. We have a show & shine at my work tomorrow and I was out at the car last night cleaning the door jambs and found what I thought was some road grime was in fact lubricant from them lubing the hinges. It has run down the door jambs and onto the side skirts, down from the fuel filler cap, etc.

Cleaning the door jambs even with 1:1 CG APC was a chore and I found it certainly wasn't dissolving it so much as just lubricating my cloth while I rubbed it off. Rubbed it off is sort of an exaggeration, I think I just mostly cleaned the grime which had stuck to the grease as it still feels sticky.

What is the best way to go about cleaning this? Something stronger than APC I'd imagine and I'm going to assume that anyting strong enough to take that off will remove my Klasse as well :(

thebamboo23
06-19-2014, 10:27 AM
dont worry about removing Klasse... you can always reapply again

how about a plastic razor? steam? letting apc soak for much longer? wd40?

VP Mark
06-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Goof off will quickly cut through it. Re-seal afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

CDot
06-19-2014, 01:59 PM

Or maybe Goo Gone--Goo Gone is less harsh. I've heard the older formula for Goof Off can harm paint, not sure about the new formula. Maybe try Goo Gone first...

Just02896
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

:iagree:

Do not let dwell for too long though!

Desertnate
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Or maybe Goo Gone--Goo Gone is less harsh. I've heard the older formula for Goof Off can harm paint, not sure about the new formula. Maybe try Goo Gone first...

I've found Goo Gone to be great at removing all sorts of messes, from gummy adhesives to tar and stubborn bug guts. I do try to re-apply wax/sealant to the area I've used it or at least hit hit with a spray wax type product afterwards to replace anything the Goo Gone might have taken off.