PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat 2.0 Unanticipated Problem

Pages : [1] 2

chet31
06-19-2014, 01:06 AM
I bought Opti-Coat 2.0 for my rims, which are a PITA to clean. It is working well for this purpose, makes the rims easier to clean. But I had a lot of product left. I decided to apply it to my hood. The problem is, since the coating is permanent, I wanted my 8-yr-old hood to be "perfect" before I applied it.

Anyway, I spent way more time polishing the hood than I probably should have, and finally applied the product. It looks great, but still, I have this nagging feeling I should have spent just a little longer on it. Anyone else run into similar issues with Opti-Coat or other permanent coatings?

hernandez.art13
06-19-2014, 01:12 AM
What do you mean by you think you should have spent just a little longer on it. On what exactly? :dunno: :)

Hazcat
06-19-2014, 01:13 AM
I won't put a coating on anything that doesn't meet my standards so I can't say that I've run into a similar issue. I know when I put a coating on it's going to stay for years so I prepare the surface accordingly. When I have left over coating I save it for headlights that have yellowed. I compound them clear, polish them to a shine. Clean the surface with a coating prep and apply left over coating. Sort of a freebie when I run into people that can't afford to have them repaired and coated with opti-lens.

oldmodman
06-19-2014, 02:03 AM
The first time I used Opticoat I went crazy on my car and did a three step correction since I would be sealing any faults in "forever"

I used all Menzerna products and finished up with a jeweling step, using PO85rd applied with a rotary and a Gold Pad at a very slow speed. Then VERY CAREFULLY applied the OptiCoat 2.0

BobbyG
06-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Ultimately, the final result is all in the preparation.........

Zelfiris
06-19-2014, 07:14 AM
Ultimately, the final result is all in the preparation.........

+1

I wouldn't call it an issue or a problem. Prep work for coating means everything

GenesisCoupe
06-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Before applying a coating it is a must to ensure that any defects you had are to your satisfaction. Because it is your car, you will know it's there and it will bother you.

swanicyouth
06-19-2014, 07:39 AM
If it looks great - it looks great. Don't worry about it. OC can be polished off if need be.

zmcgovern45
06-19-2014, 08:40 AM
If it looks great - it looks great. Don't worry about it. OC can be polished off if need be.

^This... it may be permanent in that it is capable of bonding to your paint for extended periods of time, however it is not permanent in that it can never be removed.

To me it is like saying swirls are permanent damage... while it is true they will never go away if left alone, they can certainly be removed with proper polishing. So I guess the definition of "permanent" is rather open ended in the detailing world.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-19-2014, 09:56 AM
No problem, polish it off and fix whatever you want.

VP Mark
06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
There are lots of threads lately of people feeling like they did OC wrong. Don't trust your gut. The product will let you know if you did a bad job. OC is harder to mess up than most people think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online

Autogk
06-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Op- are you satisfied with the result? It only has to look good to you. Most people, if not all, will not notice slight imperfections (we have a trained eye that most people lack). I did my entire truck with OC 2.0. It looks amazing, but definitely has some light scratches left over. Hey, it's a 13yo truck that has been through it all. It still looks better than all the newer vehicles I pass that went through the swirl-o-matic too many times.

HUMP DIESEL
06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
The first time I used Opticoat I went crazy on my car and did a three step correction since I would be sealing any faults in "forever"

I used all Menzerna products and finished up with a jeweling step, using PO85rd applied with a rotary and a Gold Pad at a very slow speed. Then VERY CAREFULLY applied the OptiCoat 2.0

Sounds like exactly what I did to my friends BMW, isn't that something, I opti-coated his vehicle before mine!
I made sure that I got as much of the defects out as I possibly could, going back over sections to make sure. It made a huge difference, it is slick, very glossy and beautiful.

HUMP

chet31
06-19-2014, 10:15 PM

I didn't explain myself well. The unanticipated problem was that I had "fear of applying" the Opti-Coat because I kept thinking I had to get it better. I went temporarily insane with my polishing. oldmodman put it well, I went crazy on my car. This is probably because I am a hobbyist, and don't have a firm idea of what "good enough" is.

Anyway, after having a couple of weeks to look for faults, I am quite happy with it, it forced me to do a better job polishing than usual. The Opti-Coat is quite forgiving to apply. Thank you for the comments. Onward to other panels.

Rsurfer
06-20-2014, 12:08 AM
It made a huge difference, it is slick,
HUMP

Are you sure you used OC2?