PDA

View Full Version : Faded paint appears to be coming back

hydro556
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I used a light cutting compound(TW) on my Mazda. The drivers door and front fender were faded and not as shiny as the rest of the car, after applying the compound with my Makita in random orbital mode it was then shiny as the rest of the car. But a couple of weeks later the two panels appear to be fading again. I attribute the faded look to light oxidation, but could be wrong. I find it odd that it would only fade on these two panels, unless maybe they were replaced earlier in the cars life.

My question is, now that I have some better products (XMT 360) should I buff the car again? If so, will the RO mode be enough, or should I kick it up to rotary? This is my work car, and while it looks pretty good, I dont mind experimenting on it, within reason.

Rsurfer
07-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I used a light cutting compound(TW) on my Mazda. The drivers door and front fender were faded and not as shiny as the rest of the car, after applying the compound with my Makita in random orbital mode it was then shiny as the rest of the car. But a couple of weeks later the two panels appear to be fading again. I attribute the faded look to light oxidation, but could be wrong. I find it odd that it would only fade on these two panels, unless maybe they were replaced earlier in the cars life.

My question is, now that I have some better products (XMT 360) should I buff the car again? If so, will the RO mode be enough, or should I kick it up to rotary? This is my work car, and while it looks pretty good, I dont mind experimenting on it, within reason.

Did you seal or wax after compounding? XMT will probably solve your problem.

hydro556
07-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Did you seal or wax after compounding? XMT will probably solve your problem.

Yes, I hand waxed with some OTC wax, Kit wax i think is what I used. I will rewash and re-do the whole car with the 360 tomorrow, time permitting. Would you recommend random orbit mode or rotary with the Makita 6040? Also, I have LC orange, white, black and wool pads. Should I use the orange? Sorry for so many questions.

Rsurfer
07-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Yes, I hand waxed with some OTC wax, Kit wax i think is what I used. I will rewash and re-do the whole car with the 360 tomorrow, time permitting. Would you recommend random orbit mode or rotary with the Makita 6040? Also, I have LC orange, white, black and wool pads. Should I use the orange? Sorry for so many questions.
Sorry only used a rotary a few times, so not an expert. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

Al-53
07-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Is the paint a single stage paint...if so I would use a glaze like Meg's hand glaze to nourish the paint...or any of the pure polishes they make..the oils will nourish the paint and reduce oxidation....

since it only does it on those panels it could be a re paint on them and poor quality paint was used or it was not mixed correctly..

AL