PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo Black 2011 Ford F-250

Porp
06-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Hello all,
I would like to thank you all for the amazing amount of information that you have contributed to this site. I have learned a lot over the past month. I have never properly detailed a vehicle; in fact I’ve learned, after finding this site, that I have taken quite poor care of my vehicle’s paint in the past. That has all changed and I now have the knowledge to properly wash my own vehicles.

Now I am focusing on protecting said vehicles. I have a good understanding of technique and procedures, but I am going crazy with the amount of information available about products. I have literally been searching the forum for phrases such as “tuxedo black” and “black Ford” for a week, and I cannot find a comprehensive list of products that are best suited for my paint.

I own a 2011 Ford F-250 in “Tuxedo Black” with minor swirls/scratches. My wife has a 2013 Honda Odyssey in “Smoky Topaz” in similar condition.

I live in New Mexico witch has a very high amount of sun exposure and is very hot in the late spring/summer/early fall. Very dusty/dry. We get very little rain outside of our monsoon season (Late July). Salt is not used on the roads in winter time, but when it does snow they use red dirt on the roads. The wash water evaporates very quickly due to the dry climate, even in late evenings on a cool surface. The truck is always parked outside and is my daily driver. I do take this vehicle off road, hunting, camping.

I have no preference to any brand of products at this point, I’m just looking to get a list of products that will work together in order to best protect my investment. I know a lot of the answers will probably have to do with a coating, and from what I have read, I would agree.

I do have some apprehension about this though, as I have never corrected paint before, and would hate to attempt it on a $60,000 truck and end up ruining the paint. Maybe some time with a DA and just sealant/wax/glaze would build my confidence enough with the machine to attempt a polish?

Wash: Currently have Megs Gold Class (open to change)

WW:

MF: (reviews are hard to judge, some good, some bad on all brands)

APC:

QD:

Tire Dressing:

Clay: I have a Megs kit (unopened)

DA:

Pads:

Compound:

Polish:

LSP:

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do like the flake in the paint and would love to see it pop even more.

Again, thank you all so much for the information you provide this community. Please let me know if I forgot any information.

:props:Feed back please

Porp
06-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Bueller, Bueller?

eaglefan
06-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Easiest way to do it is to pick a quality brand, any on this site, and go with their line.
As for machines, pick one of the DAs on this site and some flat pads. I would say orange, white and red. Truck that size maybe 5 each.
Easiest way to do it to me. Takes some of the guess work out of it

zmcgovern45
06-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Wash: Optimum Car Wash and/or ONR

MF: 2-4 Waffle Weave Drying Towels, 15-20 Medium Pile (~400gsm) towels for compound, polish, sealant removal

APC: Meguiar's D101 (also purchase spray bottles to dilute product in)

QD: ONR or UWW+ (also need spray bottles to dilute product in)

Tire Dressing: Optimum Opti-Bond (also need tire dressing applicator)

DA: Griot's Garage 3rd Gen (purchase 5" and 3" backing plate as well)

Pads: Lake Country Flat Pads - Orange Light Cutting, White Polishing, Black Finishing. Two 5.5" and two 3" of each color minimum.

Compound: Menzerna FG400

Polish: Menzerna SF4000

LSP: CarPro Reload... or Menzerna Power Lock if you want to stick with Menzerna (or if you want a coating, I recommend CQUK... and you will also need CarPro Eraser to prep the surface after correction)

This is just a basic kit of products based on your areas you were seeking advice that work well on many finishes. There is no perfect product list that will work in every situation. In general, if your budget allows, you can never have too many microfiber towels or polishing pads so I would recommend many more of them. There are also plenty more products such as wheel and tire cleaner, wheel & tire cleaning tools/brushes, etc that may be useful if you have not reached your budget limit yet. :xyxthumbs:

Hope that helps

-Zach

HUMP DIESEL
06-19-2014, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=Porp;1119788]Hello all,
I would like to thank you all for the amazing amount of information that you have contributed to this site. I have learned a lot over the past month. I have never properly detailed a vehicle; in fact I’ve learned, after finding this site, that I have taken quite poor care of my vehicle’s paint in the past. That has all changed and I now have the knowledge to properly wash my own vehicles.

Now I am focusing on protecting said vehicles. I have a good understanding of technique and procedures, but I am going crazy with the amount of information available about products. I have literally been searching the forum for phrases such as “tuxedo black” and “black Ford” for a week, and I cannot find a comprehensive list of products that are best suited for my paint.

I own a 2011 Ford F-250 in “Tuxedo Black” with minor swirls/scratches. My wife has a 2013 Honda Odyssey in “Smoky Topaz” in similar condition.

I live in New Mexico witch has a very high amount of sun exposure and is very hot in the late spring/summer/early fall. Very dusty/dry. We get very little rain outside of our monsoon season (Late July). Salt is not used on the roads in winter time, but when it does snow they use red dirt on the roads. The wash water evaporates very quickly due to the dry climate, even in late evenings on a cool surface. The truck is always parked outside and is my daily driver. I do take this vehicle off road, hunting, camping.

I have no preference to any brand of products at this point, I’m just looking to get a list of products that will work together in order to best protect my investment. I know a lot of the answers will probably have to do with a coating, and from what I have read, I would agree.

I do have some apprehension about this though, as I have never corrected paint before, and would hate to attempt it on a $60,000 truck and end up ruining the paint. Maybe some time with a DA and just sealant/wax/glaze would build my confidence enough with the machine to attempt a polish?

Wash: Depends on what you are doing with it, but just maintenance washes for me, I use Lusso

WW: Have not used a waterless wash yet, but Car Pro looks promising

MF: Just got a with what you can get here and use the plushest for polish and wax, others can be used for cleaning. I would get different colors and color code them to purpose.

APC: I use P21S Total Wash as well as Megs APC+, I have also heard great things about Optimum

QD: Not supposed to say it here, but Adam's at this time.

Tire Dressing: 303 Aerospace for natural look and once again Adams VRT for a little more gloss

Clay: I have a Megs kit (unopened) Megs is good, probably mild. Depends on the amount of contamination, but I would at least pick up a medium bar

DA: Griots Garage 6" if you are just looking for DA, Rupes if you are wanting a little bigger machine, but the GG will do just fine

Pads: Medium polish, polish, final polish, and wax application. Lake Country seems to be one on here that many people go with

Compound: Menzerna FG400

Polish: Menzerna SF4000, SF4500, Sonax 4/6. These are my go to polishes all the time

LSP: Menzerna Powerlok, Sonax Polymer netshield, P21S Concours wax.

HUMP

The Guz
06-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Wash: Meguiar's Hyperwash

WW: Optimum ONR. On BOGO
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax, no rinse car wash, rinse free car wash, optimum no rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse-wash-and-wax.html)

MF: I second this
2-4 Waffle Weave Drying Towels, 15-20 Medium Pile (~400gsm) towels for compound, polish, sealant removal

I actually purchased a pack of 25 Meguiar's supreme shine microfiber towels off walmart's site.

APC:
Meguiar's D101.
Although you may want to consider Mothers.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/81446-mothers-apc-degreaser.html

QD: Meguiar's M135, D156

Tire Dressing:
Turtle wax Jet Black Endure Shine Tire Coating
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/78659-coated-my-tires-today-wow.html

DA: You honestly can't go wrong with a Porter Cable or Griots Garage

Pads: Lake Country flat pads (orange, white, black). Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads for harder clear coat.

For Wolfgang
Compound:

Polish:

LSP:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74198-wolfgang-four.html

For Meguiar's
Compound: M101

Polish: M205

LSP: M21 or Ultimate Wax, M26

Trim:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/81663-action-wolfgang-exterior-trim-sealant.html

tpr1634
06-19-2014, 03:59 PM
Here's what I do/use on my 13 tux 150
Weekly washes sometimes more CG Mr.Pink or Optimum, I also 1 oz of onr to the 5 gallon bucket.

I clay when needed outside 24/7

When I polish, no major defects I use Wolfgang finishing glaze
I have both a PC and a flex using a white pad, I use lake country.

I have but not required CG blacklight.

My wax hands down collinite 845 when needed. Also used on the wheels.

Also highly recommend Wolfgang exterior trim sealant for all the trim.

Porp
06-19-2014, 06:04 PM
Thank you all. Do all products mention provide the same UV protection?

tpr1634
06-19-2014, 06:22 PM

I'm sure they do, collinite 845 does have uv protection plus.:buffing:

swanicyouth
06-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Anything that sticks on your paint and provides a layer or barrier can likely claim to have *some* UV protection. How much difference there is between products - who knows???

My experience tells me it depends less on exactly what product you use - but more on how frequently you use it.

mcate
06-19-2014, 07:47 PM
My 2012 Tuxedo Black Fusion Sport. Poorboy's SSR2 with white pad for the swirls, polished with Menzerna SF4000, sealed with Menz PL, & topped off with a coat of Menz CL.