PDA

View Full Version : Someone Explain single stage and 2 stage polish

Pages : [1] 2

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Still new to this .. Is a Stage one just a polish used with a DA or Rotary.. and a 2 stage is a cut product with a DA/Rotary and then a Polish product with a DA and Rotary? I am picking up a Griots 6" DA soon and have watched a ton of videos but they always leave things out. Like how to even take care of your buffing pads or how to handle different angles on teh body of the car. It's always some guy showing a flat surface and nothing more.

DaveT435
06-17-2014, 07:09 PM
A single stage paint doesn't have a clear coat. Just colored paint. Most newer cars come with a base coat of paint covered by a clear coat

RTexasF
06-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Single stage refers to paint that does not have clearcoat. Which machine is used has no bearing on it. I think you are confusing "stage" with "steps" required to return a finish to its optimal look.

If the paint condition is just horrid it may take several steps to bring it back. This can be true if it is a single stage paint or one with clearcoat.
If the damage is light it can possibly be done with one step or product, again regardless of the machinery used, single stage or with clearcoat.

There are still modern cars with single stage paint in spite of what many think. Plain old white can be single stage on many Japanese cars & trucks as can other colors. It's not always old cars.

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 07:13 PM
I guess I worded that wrong.. Steps is what I mean..sorry! If trying to get somethign back to normal with one product and pad.. what products do you guys like? Something like HD Polish or Megs M205?

DaveT435
06-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I guess I worded that wrong.. Steps is what I mean..sorry! If trying to get somethign back to normal with one product and pad.. what products do you guys like? Something like HD Polish or Megs M205?

That depends on the paint and condition of the paint.9

RTexasF
06-17-2014, 07:32 PM
That depends on the paint and condition of the paint.

Agreed, that is why you do a test spot (or several) to see what is required to give you the results you desire. There can't be a "one step" product recommendation for all conditions. It is your job to find out what is required. I've had some situations that took me over an hour to find out what will work and some that took 10 minutes. There is no such thing as "just use this and you'll be fine". Time, effort, and professionalism is what it takes to find the right combination.

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Wish I had time to take some detail classes! Any videos you guys recommend? I realize a lot of this is just trial and error and learning as you go. My car has Cquartz Finest so I won't be doing anything with it other than Reload and washes. My buddies and family however have some cars that really need some help.

glen e
06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
I can pretty much do any car that needs a tune up with Meg's 105/205, an orange and green pad, a griots orbital and blackfire Crystal Seal.

DaveT435
06-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Wish I had time to take some detail classes! Any videos you guys recommend? I realize a lot of this is just trial and error and learning as you go. My car has Cquartz Finest so I won't be doing anything with it other than Reload and washes. My buddies and family however have some cars that really need some help.

If you go to the "how to" section there are a lot of good videos.

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I can pretty much do any car that needs a tune up with Meg's 105/205, an orange and green pad, a griots orbital and blackfire Crystal Seal.

This is what I was told as well.. M105 and M205 with Orange and White though. I was looking at the Mezerna stuff as well as HD Cut and HD Polish combo.

Paul A.
06-17-2014, 09:23 PM
What you are asking, as previously pointed out, depends on the paint and its condition. Your initial post kinda nailed it though and you have the idea. My 2 steps involve a cutting effort first to level the paint and remove as much of the scratches i can with various strengths of product and pad combos. With a fairly aggressive first cut it is inevitably going to leave some stuff to clean up to get the best gloss. Whether thats very minor scratches remaining or pad/product micromarring A one step is done for paint that will most likely respond very well with a less aggressive product/pad combo and that is all you need to get it to look its best.

For example, a popular 2 step is M105 with an orange LC pad for the first step and then M205 with a white pad to really gloss it up.

A good 1 step (on say Honda soft paint) might be just M205 with a white or even black (grey) pad.

The problem with just starting to get into all of this is there are so many product/pad combos on top of so many various paint conditions. It comes with trial and error and always doing the least aggressive method with a test spot and go from there. If you are only working on your 'Stang you could try some different things and dial in what you like but i am betting you have some typically hard Ford paint.

I always try to work my pads flat on the surface. You do encounter curves, indents, creases, etc all over the car but the beauty of a DA is that you can't do it too wrong. I respect the high points of creases and edges because the paint is thinnest on those areas but i have never burned through or experienced any problems with my DA. My rotary machine is a whole 'nother thing and can instill damage quickly if you aren't paying attention but don't be afraid of what the DA can do.

06-17-2014, 09:26 PM
This is what I was told as well.. M105 and M205 with Orange and White though. I was looking at the Mezerna stuff as well as HD Cut and HD Polish combo.

I started out this obsession with M105/M205. I've since moved on to FG400/SF4000 as my go to combo. I've heard great things about HD products, one thing to keep in mind, different paints may require different products - hence that is why we do test spots and it's great to have a variety in your arsenal of products.

You'll get a ton of different opinions on which products to use, in all honesty, you'll find whats best for you once you begin.

Also, may I suggest when you get the GG, purchase a 5" backing plate so you can run 5.5" pads - they'll offer you more control.

Nice 5.0 by the way!

Paul A.
06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Yes, i like what 281 offered! I have so many products for so many different conditions i have to really think sometimes of what might be best applied to THIS particular paint for this customer.

06-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, i like what 281 offered! I have so many products for so many different conditions i have to really think sometimes of what might be best applied to THIS particular paint for this customer.

And I'm just a hobbyist :buffing:

Paul A.
06-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Maybe but you've obviously learned to refine what you like from trial and error over time. Just like me brotha! And that's the fun part.