PDA

View Full Version : brand new and need the correct tools

tods210
06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I am thinking about getting the cyclo buffer to shine up my 57 chevy--I am pretty positive it is the original paint because it seems not to have been "loved" to that extant--so I don't want to buy all the different pads and things anybody have an idea of what I should use??? I compounded it a couple times and it got pretty shiny but it faded right out I bought some mothers clay to start but I need advice on which pads

trekkeruss
06-17-2014, 01:29 PM
I love the story and heritage behind the Cyclo, I love its seemingly solid construction (I've never held one), and I really love that it is still made in the USA. But I went with a traditional DA polisher instead. Almost no one uses a Cyclo. There is probably a reason for that, and who am I to argue against the wisdom of so many professionals? I can see using an antique tool on an antique car though.

I have no advice on Cyclo pads...I am just rambling here. ;)

tods210
06-17-2014, 01:31 PM
ok thanks for the info I happen to have an old buffer any advice on which pads to start with? I have some poorboy stuff I bought at a car show in Rhinebeck ny

trekkeruss
06-17-2014, 01:39 PM
I don't know the condition of the paint on your Chevy. Is it the original paint, or is it a modern clear coat? Whichever the case, you should always start by doing a test spot, using the least aggressive pad and polish, to determine what is necessary to get the paint corrected.

tods210
06-17-2014, 01:40 PM
I have a craftsman 3/8 horsepower sander/polisher any good?

trekkeruss
06-17-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't know. My guess is that it is a rotary tool. I have never used a rotary, and from what little I know, a rotary is not the best choice for a beginner (like myself). So while it might be a fine enough tool in the right hands, I would rather use a safer dual action polisher.

refreshauto
06-17-2014, 03:41 PM
i use the cyclo and well as the Flex 3401. they both have a purpose. i really like the cyclo and the way it works. you will have to get different pads for different purposes. i have 8-pack of each color they offer. i would also recommend getting the Wolfgang or Menzera line of products and some really good microfiber towels.