PDA

View Full Version : Light scratches and swirls in my black Miat after compounding and polishing

cday119
06-17-2014, 11:33 AM
I have a 2010 black hardtop Miata. I've had it for a few months. It came from the dealer with heavy swirl marks and a few scratches. Here's what I've done so far, all using a DA polisher:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on a 6 in. Cutting Pad from harbor freight
Meguiars Polish on a 6 in polishing pad from harbor freight
Klasse All-In-One polish on a 6 in polishing pad
Meguiars Wax on a 6 in detailing pad from harbor frieght

It greatly improved my car but there are still some swirl marks. I feel like I should move to a more abrasive compound. What do you think of using the 3m extra cut rubbing compound on the 6 in cutting pad? Or is that too much abrasiveness?

Any other advice for working on black cars. This is the first time I've used a DA polisher. Thanks!

Desertnate
06-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Rather than going with rubbing compound, you might try a little bit tougher compound like Menzerna 400, Blackfire SRC Compound, Prima Cut, or maybe Poorboys 2.5.

I like Meg's UC and it's a good product, but as a safe consumer-grade product, it might not have the cut of other products on the market.

A quick search here will give you tons of threads regarding black cars. I own one too, and it's a labor of love for sure.

WRAPT C5Z06
06-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Get rid of the HF pads.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Get rid of the HF pads.

Agreed.

Pick up some quality pads such as Lake Country.

jayballz83
06-17-2014, 02:36 PM
You might want to think about stepping up to a rotary polisher instead of a d.a.

StangFan25
06-17-2014, 02:39 PM
I'd also suggest a smaller backing plate with smaller pads. When I changed to a 5" plate, results were much better, and easier.

As for pads, I use LC Hydro-Tech.

DaveT435
06-17-2014, 03:05 PM
I have a 2010 black hardtop Miata. I've had it for a few months. It came from the dealer with heavy swirl marks and a few scratches. Here's what I've done so far, all using a DA polisher:

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on a 6 in. Cutting Pad from harbor freight
Meguiars Polish on a 6 in polishing pad from harbor freight
Klasse All-In-One polish on a 6 in polishing pad
Meguiars Wax on a 6 in detailing pad from harbor frieght

It greatly improved my car but there are still some swirl marks. I feel like I should move to a more abrasive compound. What do you think of using the 3m extra cut rubbing compound on the 6 in cutting pad? Or is that too much abrasiveness?

Any other advice for working on black cars. This is the first time I've used a DA polisher. Thanks!

I'm assuming these steps came after iron X, claying??

Agree with better pads. I wouldn't think the HF would be bad enough to swirl, but you never know. More aggressive compound if needed Menzerna F400 or Meg's M 101.

cday119
06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
I'm assuming these steps came after iron X, claying??

Agree with better pads. I wouldn't think the HF would be bad enough to swirl, but you never know. More aggressive compound if needed Menzerna F400 or Meg's M 101.

No iron x! I forgot that. I think I'll grab a bottle of that and some tar x, maybe some Menzerna FG400 and some new pads. Then give it another try.

ski2
06-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Agree on the new pads, but first get a quality 5" backing plate so you can use quality 5.5" pads. Assuming you have the HF DA it is more powerful than a PC, but still benifits from the smaller BP and smaller pads. Every backing plate and pad from HF I've seen have been of poor quality.

custmsprty
06-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Get rid of the HF pads.

:iagree:

Stick with the DA, just get some better pads, LC pads. Also, the Menz FG400 is a great one step polish, finishes down very well. Invest in some of that.