PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Rant

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DetailKitty
06-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Maybe we should have a rant section???? :laughing:

Ok, so my FRIEND bought a "previously enjoyed" Porsche Boxster a few months ago. It's black... and the paint needs serious help. Swirls galore and some scratches throughout.

There is a detailer here at my work who does very good work, and you pay for that work. No problem with that.

Anyway, my friend asked him when he first bought the car for a quote and then told me that he thought the guy's prices were very high. They really aren't IMHO for what he does. I know what goes into really good detailing.

I thought I'd be nice and I offered to help him out. I said look, I can help YOU do this work and I won't charge you anything except dinner or something.

He says he'll think about it.

So we are at the present. I saw him roll up to work yesterday and I see those glaringly obvious swirls all over the poor car. So I ask him if he's thought about my offer....

Yeah... he tells me he's nervous about ME doing the work and maybe he'll just have the other guy do it.

Um, What the ef????? Why do I make you nervous????? And I'm trying to hep you out! :dunno:

Damn, I felt like it was a slap in the face. Ah, I guess have fun paying someone else to do your car. And this guy has you drop it at his house for the weekend. I was going to bring my stuff to my friend's house and do it there!

I completely understand you choosing whomever you want to detail your car, but don't tell me it's because the thought of me doing it makes you nervous?????? :bash:

LAME.

David Hayward
06-17-2014, 09:25 AM
That's a Bummer man. My friends typically come right to me for that free stuff. I only work for free for a few people who have or would help me out though. Not just some random person I know that I'm friends on Facebook with or something. If he doesn't want to let you do it then it's his loss.

Justin at Final Inspection
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Yeah my family gets the freebie but a few close ones get a very significant discount!!! Don't sweat it.

Eric M.
06-17-2014, 09:40 AM
But has he seen your work? I can understand his view point if he hasn't.

DetailKitty
06-17-2014, 09:52 AM
But has he seen your work? I can understand his view point if he hasn't.

He sees my car every day... but I don't think he's REALLY looked at it.

Yup, no more "Mrs. Nice Gal". I'm not going to offer help to anyone anymore except my sister (I love doing her Mustangs).

Legacykid
06-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Don't let it bother you, you know the work your capable of. Some people are just ignorant.

Invite him to your detail day and show him what he missed out on!

Tato
06-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Don't let it bother you, you know the work your capable of. Some people are just ignorant.

Invite him to your detail day and show him what he missed out on!

Agreed!

I understand your feeling. In my opinion, you don't need to give more explanations to the gal, you did your offer (sweet, kind offer) and he obviously rejected. You don't need to prove anything to him (at least, not directly).

Indirectly, I'd invite him for the detail day, and this will be the moment he, himself, will realize how dumb was the answer he gave you at first.

Wish you the best,

Kind Regards.

GenesisCoupe
06-17-2014, 10:16 AM
He's missing out! His poor choice. I think we've all been in that position before and that's just how it will be i guess.

I wouldn't sweat it.

I lost a client at first because his Audi dealership "could do the same work i do for $180 bucks" (my quote was around $700 for a 3-step correction).. he ended up coming back to me because Audi did a ton of rotary damage.

DetailKitty
06-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Thx for the encouragement gang :xyxthumbs:

Yeah, I'm gonna let it go... it just insulted me unexpectedly.

hernandez.art13
06-17-2014, 10:43 AM
No worries DKB, I was in the same boat and now I get asked all the time for my work.

There was something similar to this and my body shop manager uncle asked me "hey can you buff that out?" :laughing:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/17/eqysasar.jpg

DetailKitty
06-17-2014, 10:45 AM
No worries DKB, I was in the same boat and now I get asked all the time for my work.

There was something similar to this and my body shop manager uncle asked me "hey can you buff that out?" :laughing:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/17/eqysasar.jpg

:eek:

refreshauto
06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
his loss for sure, invite him to the detail day and let him see what he missed out on

hernandez.art13
06-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Oh and buy yourself a camera and start documenting all your work. Before and afters. 50/50 shots, etc... ,

I got to work on a WWII bomber plane! Because I started documenting my work. (I think...)

Worked on a custom paint job and even better I am getting the opportunity to fly out to PA!

I'll text you in a bit with some questions not sure the difference in Time Zones :)

Its almost 9am here.

DetailKitty
06-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Oh and buy yourself a camera and start documenting all your work. Before and afters. 50/50 shots, etc... ,

I got to work on a WWII bomber plane! Because I started documenting my work. (I think...)

Worked on a custom paint job and even better I am getting the opportunity to fly out to PA!

I'll text you in a bit with some questions not sure the difference in Time Zones :)

Its almost 9am here.

3 hours Bro... it's just about noon here :xyxthumbs:

runrun411
06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Kitty,
Don't even let it bother you. You do good work and he seems to be the only one in your area who doesn't know it. That's on him. Is the detailer your talking about the Charger and Adams guy?