PDA

View Full Version : Buffing around LOGO's

tbaz
06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
going to 5 stage on a 2012 black yukon, heavy swirls , rotary ( my first real time) with megs 105, then megs MF correction d300 followed by 205 by da mf pad and a pure polish finished by numerous sealant/waxs. Question... what do i do to buff around/ in the silver decals the "GMC and Yukon" ones on the hatch and doors?

c8n
06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Just tape up the decals.

Paul A.
06-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Yes...tape. That avoids the tedious clean up after.

tbaz
06-17-2014, 10:31 AM
i know , but it bugs me to see the un polished stuff in the letters , does everyone just leave it?

glen e
06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
buffing over logos destroys your pad long term. tape it up or go around it, it does not need polish...use a manicure pad from the drugstore or a small microbfiber if oyu need to get between letters, use common sense...

get out the crap after if you do go over it, with a Q tip and alcohol

Paul A.
06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
For larger logos like maybe Lexus or Mercedes that have some paint you can get too in larger spaces i will hit those spots with an older MF cloth and maybe M205 to clean up the paint inside. For smaller logos you can't really get inside well i usually don't mess with. The paint inside those unreachable areas is either not that marred up (because really get in there with a wash or dry media anyway) or are insignificant in the overall picture.

I do polish up the emblem or logo with a good AIO product to shine them up.

And, yes, they'll tear up a buffing pad, especially the softer ones!

fly07sti
06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Or just remove remove them. Having less emblems makes cleaning so much easier. Just need a blow dryer and some fishing line or strong floss to take them off.

Paul A.
06-17-2014, 11:04 AM
That's even better! I have "debadged" my BMW for not only that reason plus i like the cleaner look. That's not an option on most customer cars though.

c8n
06-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Or just remove remove them. Having less emblems makes cleaning so much easier. Just need a blow dryer and some fishing line or strong floss to take them off.

:iagree:
I removed them as well. Only left the AWD badge... just in case it gets towed... not that it matters much these days :confused: