PDA

View Full Version : Placing an order, but first a few questions

Bergado
07-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I will be placing an order shortly, but before I do I would like some input from the AG crowd…

Polishes:
-Optimum Compound
-Optimum Polish
-Optimum Poli-Seal

Pads:
- 5.5 inch Low Profile Pad Combo (2 orange, 2 white)
OR
- Order the Optimum Kit that includes the above polishes and 1 CCS Orange, White and Grey pad

Backing Plate:
- ???

LSP:
- Duragloss #105

These will be used primarily on my 2002 Volkswagen GTI (color is reflex silver), which I understand to have a hard clear coat so I am leaning toward the smaller, low profile pads for the increased cutting power. I read these forums periodically (a few times a week) and am aware of the Menzerna line, but as a beginner with the PC I just don’t know if I can justify the cost, and have decided to go with the Optimum line. One area where I’m clueless, however, is backing plates… With a 6.5 inch pad I’d go with a 5” BP and call it a day, but with the 5.5 inch pad I’m not so sure, and that leads me to a few specific questions:

1. What are the exact diameters of these two 5” backing plates (the LC and the HD – seen We Are Car Care ! Car Wax - Car Polish - Auto Detailing Supplies & Car Accessories (http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-backing-plates.html)?) )? I recall coming across some posts on autopia saying the LC ones are actually 4.75” and would like the extra room if I do go with the smaller pads.

2. Do you think the OC/LC orange will offer sufficient cut for a VW clear coat?

Any other input is appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Thejoyofdriving
07-28-2007, 03:58 PM
2. Do you think the OC/LC orange will offer sufficient cut for a VW clear coat?

Thanks!

well, it depends on what you are trying to remove. for swirls(depending on how bad they are) a light pad or medium pad will work. I would go with a 5 inch backing plate. And i assume that it is 5 inches in diameter.

ScottB
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I highly suggest a flexible backing plate (look for yellow ones). I also suggest some medium (white) and finishing (grey, blue) pads. Orange pads are abrasive and likely to leave smaller micromarring when polishing away swirls.

Bergado
07-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies!

The paint is in pretty good condition - no random scratches, only very light swirls/cobwebbing (I'll try to upload pics in a minute) - so it sounds like an orange pad will more than cover what I need. I will also be going with a white pad and some finishing pads...

But now I have a few more questions:

-- Is there any significant difference between the grey and blue finishing pads? Reading the descriptions I’ve gathered that both have no cutting ability, but the grey pad is simply more firm than the blue… correct?

-- Killrwheels, I will go with a flexible backing plate. When you say look for the yellow ones are you referring to the LakeCountry ones specifically, because it sounds like the HD Backing plate (the one manufactured by the Edge Co) is flexible as well. I guess I am still unclear on the differences, if any.

-- Would a 3.5 inch BP be far too small with use with the 5.5 inch low profile pads?

Thanks again :)

pirex
07-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I would remove the Optimum compund, and put in optimum hyper compund. You will need that on your vw!

Bergado
07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Here are the pics as promised... it was washed this afternoon with DG #901 and the only product currently on the car is DG AW (#951).

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/CM04458/IMG_1294.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/CM04458/IMG_1298.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/CM04458/IMG_1299.jpg

For whatever reason I couldn't see any swirls even in direct sunlight, nonetheless capture them on camera (I'm totally new to taking detailing pics), but I assure you I've seen them before :(.

Bergado
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Thanks pirex, I was hoping someone with a VW/Audi would chime in

D
07-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I can pretty much guarantee you've got swirls and scratches. They may be minor, but they are there. Chances are you just cant see them. VW clear is hard, so even if they are minor, youll still need an aggressive combo. Id probably start with 106FF with orange CCS pad. That will finish off marr free.

IMO 106FF is easier to use then OP Polish WITH A PC. The Optimum takes a good bit longer to break down. Thats really the only down side. Benefits are it can be used in sun and hardly dusts. 106FF is better in the garage, dusts a little, but leaves the paint with an amazing shine. So for me, it comes down to working time. Since 106FF is shorter, thats what I recommend. Both are great though, and youll be happy either way.

Go with the 5" BP for the 5.5" pads.