PDA

View Full Version : New Mustang!

Romans5.8
06-17-2014, 06:07 AM
Wife and I just picked up a white 2014 Mustang V6 Premium convertible. It's "used", and looks like it's been cared for a little too much.

So here's a couple of quick questions.

1) For those with experience with it; what's your favorite way to tackle this white paint to bring back the shine? (Hammered with swirls)

2) The black plastic in the back (taillights, etc.) is heavily swirled; what's your favorite way to take care of that?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting started on this car! Buying a current-model-year used car when the new body style is about to hit the shelves turns out to be a pretty good way to get a pretty great deal! But of course; used car means someone else has hammered the paint!

BobbyG
06-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Menzerna PF-2500 (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-power-finish.html) and a white foam pad should work well...

Menzerna SF-4000 (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-super-nano-polish.html) for the plastic

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Congrats on the stang! :)

Romans5.8
06-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys!

Oh and one more thing; the plastic cover over the display for the stereo is fairly clouded/scratched and difficult to see with the top down. Any solutions for that? I was actually thinking DP headlight restoring polish on it.

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys!

Oh and one more thing; the plastic cover over the display for the stereo is fairly clouded/scratched and difficult to see with the top down. Any solutions for that? I was actually thinking DP headlight restoring polish on it.

If that does not work I had found a 3 step plastic polish a while back I used to use on the old JDM radios I had. Worked very well when used with a GOOD microfiber cloth. I think it was called NOVUS. I found the cheap MF cloths scartched the hell out of radio screens. Because of this I made all my interior clothes high quality just to avoid that. That whole screen area is removeable so you can get to it easier if needed.

Romans5.8
06-17-2014, 08:19 AM
If that does not work I had found a 3 step plastic polish a while back I used to use on the old JDM radios I had. Worked very well when used with a GOOD microfiber cloth. I think it was called NOVUS. I found the cheap MF cloths scartched the hell out of radio screens. Because of this I made all my interior clothes high quality just to avoid that. That whole screen area is removeable so you can get to it easier if needed.

Good to know it's removable. That'll make things easier. Is it replaceable? I'd just as soon buy a new plastic screen; but I'm assuming it's glued to the multi-line display.

In my car (which I ordered from the factory and didn't let them prep), I just used compressed air. I figure there's really no reason to touch any of the clear plastic since all that gets on it is dust. I blow it out with compressed air and then wipe down everything else with high quality MF towels and an interior cleaning spray.

Badlilstang
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Good to know it's removable. That'll make things easier. Is it replaceable? I'd just as soon buy a new plastic screen; but I'm assuming it's glued to the multi-line display.

In my car (which I ordered from the factory and didn't let them prep), I just used compressed air. I figure there's really no reason to touch any of the clear plastic since all that gets on it is dust. I blow it out with compressed air and then wipe down everything else with high quality MF towels and an interior cleaning spray.

Not sure if you can just replace the small screen but I would not doubt it. I know the whole front piece you can probably find on ebay. It's not actually connected to the whole radio's unit. It's just a modular piece that can be disconnected. Is your car performance white or Oxford White?

StangFan25
06-17-2014, 02:53 PM

There's threads over at AllFordMustang that discuss replacing it with "homemade" plastic/glass. Looked fairly easy.

Feel free to share before and after pictures of the Stang!

06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Congrats on the Mustang!

Romans5.8
06-18-2014, 04:54 PM
There's threads over at AllFordMustang that discuss replacing it with "homemade" plastic/glass. Looked fairly easy.

Feel free to share before and after pictures of the Stang!

Thanks. I've been looking into it! Local hardware store cuts plexi-glass, may go that route. But first (why the heck not?) I'll remove it and see if I can't just polish it down clear again. With the top down you basically cannot see the display at all. Just the scratches. Yuck!

StangFan25
06-18-2014, 06:59 PM
I had the same problem before I bought an aftermarket unit with navigation. Can see it just fine when top is down. Good luck, I'm sure you'll come out great!

Kamakaz1961
06-18-2014, 07:12 PM
Congrats on the Stang!! Welcome to the Stang world!! You will really be loving your ride for a long time!! What's her name? Mine's Black Beauty Deb!! or BB Deb for short!

Romans5.8
06-19-2014, 09:05 AM
We haven't come up with a name for her yet!

So I pulled the Shaker display out and hit it with Meg's UC and a 3" pad and achieved maybe 70% correction. Enough that at least you can read it with the top down. But I also see now that it won't be that difficult to remove the plastic and have some new plastic cut and glued back in; so that's what I'll eventually do.

sproketser
06-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Congrats on new Pony mate !