PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Color-Chip

Nightwing
06-17-2014, 03:39 AM
Has anyone ever used "Dr. Color-Chip? I did a search on the subject but there wasn't any info regarding it found.

I found some small chips and one that I should do something about it since its enough to catch a fingernail when running across the paint.

Any and all info is appreciated! Thanx!

freddie46
06-17-2014, 04:18 AM
I tried it and had a bad experience. It could have been my implementation. The car was a dark green Jag and the primer under the color layer was gray. No matter what I did, the primer kept showing thru. I spoke with a body shop guy and he said sometimes you first have to treat the primer with say black before using the paint color. They have to look things up on a chart regarding the primer before making repairs.

I also, called customer service and they said to use a thicker amount of paint. When I used the solution to remove the excess paint, the primer showed thru. If you look at their demo video, they are working on a white or silver car, not a dark car.

Maybe you will have better luck.

Fred

Fred's Mobile Auto Spa.

HateSwirls
06-17-2014, 05:56 AM
Hope to read more on this, about to order a kit for my daughter.

David Hayward
06-17-2014, 06:09 AM
I used it on a red vw tiguan with success. Did a couple deep scratches and a few chips. It works the best on chips. As for the scratches I just had to make sure to really work the paint into the scratch and it took a couple layers. My best advice is to wipe very lightly with the solution to try keeping the paint in the chips and scratches. If it takes more passes with the solution that is better than more pressure. And try to keep as much of the paint as you can in the actual chip or scratch.

yello430
06-17-2014, 09:16 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/81586-dr-paint-chip.html

LS430FL
06-17-2014, 10:31 AM
I was driving on I-95 and got a chip on the side of my door. Used dr color ship to repair that chip and a few other small chips on the front end. I found that the kit worked better on a flat surface rather than a vertical surface. The paint stayed in the chip better to dry and I was able to level it better with the surrounding paint. The door chip I was not able to fill up enough to get it level.

06-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Stick with OEM paint and apply using a toothpick. Ime, Dr CC didn't last very long and was such a pita to level out, especially the vertical panels...

MarkD51
06-17-2014, 11:27 AM
I had found a somewhat similar experience on my Summit White Tahoe, in that the primer underneath the paint was evidently a very dark grey, almost looking black in color.

And the white Dr C Chip paint was going on almost like it was translucent white, thus some of the small chips could not be hidden with just one application. I should state, that many of these minror chips were more like "ticks" in the paint from small stones, most about 1/2 the diameter of a BB.

On the same hand, one application wasn't seeming that it was filling in the missing paint so it sometimes took 2-3, even 4 coats to fill, finess with Sealact Solution, and re-apply.

I forget the exact time frame, but I think it was about 2-1/2 weeks later I did a correction with the PC7424XP, WGTSR, and White 5.5" LC Flat Pads, and had no issues of paint then being removed from the chip repair, it stayed put, and looked OK, so no problems in that regard.

After that correction I followed with WGDGPS 3.0 and the truck looked very darn nice, taking a good ten years of age off the appearance.

Overall I was pretty pleased with Dr C Chip, one has to really look very hard to find evidence of where these chips once were.
Mark

Pats300zx
06-17-2014, 11:39 AM
I have used Dr. Color Chip on three different cars that I have. In each case the paint match was perfect and the kit was super easy to use. I was very pleased with how the results turned out.

MarkD51
06-17-2014, 11:52 AM
The other option is Langka, "The Blob Remover", and this product works with either factory, or duplicolor touch up paint. (I believe it is also sold here, and is not any sort of special order item, it's just a solution-polish that supposed to work with all colors)

I have used this product a good many years and found I quite difficult to finesse away the blob. I bought it for use on my Magenta Pearl Metallic 2001 Kia Spectra.

Usually in my own personal instance with Langka, I'm in the process of leveling with the solution, and the blob remains, and remains, and remains, then all of a sudden, it appeared that one or two swipes too many, and not only was the blob gone, but most of the paint used to fill the chip.

Thus re-apply paint again, wait a hell of a long time for it to dry-cure, and again, no joy I found.

I think such might have to be teamed with ultra-fine wet sanding, and of course here is where you can get into trouble!

I did, on a couple of chips, wound up wet sanding right through the darn color coat on the hood. Oh well, it is no mint vehicle, so I wasn't too concerned, but for sure, when one resorts to any sanding on a finish, you better have some darn good experience IMO!
Mark

MarkD51
06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
I meant to say I used Langka a "good many years ago." Sorry for the omission.
Mark

wdmaccord
06-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Saw commercials on Velocity this past weekend for a new Dr. Color Chip product. More of a "squeegee on" type product to cover larger areas faster. Maybe a thicker paint? Don't know how long it's been around of if anyone has tried it?

Nightwing
06-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the inputs, especially on whether the vehicle is a dark color or not. I know its the Basque Red but will verify if its either I or II version. Will find out from the color number on the door.