PDA

View Full Version : So what all gets polished/waxed?

BlackObs
07-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Alright, so I've found plenty of guides (and a handy video tutorial) here about how to wax, but nothing about what to wax. Maybe it's assumed that I already know, but I don't.

I mean, sure, I know to do the hood, roof, door panels, and fenders. Probably the rear hatch, too (it's a hatchback). But how about the front and rear bumpers? Yes, they're body-color, but they're plastic rather than metal. Does that even matter? And how about small areas that I'm not going to be able to reach with the UDM, like the grille (also body-color), door handles and the space under them, etc.? I'm guessing that if they should be done as well, it'll obviously be by hand.

Anything else non-obvious that I'm missing?

Thejoyofdriving
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, as long as the bumpers are clear coated you should be fine, I wax all clear coated surfaces. With some waxes like Klasse, you can even wax plastic trim and windows, but that is only some waxes.

JoeD
07-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I would say that if it's clear coated then most waxes are safe. I wax all of my car after a good preporation. Chrome and all and have never had a problem. Just don't go waxing anything that hasn't been properly prepared and polished like dead paint.

ScottB
07-28-2007, 08:33 PM
waxing should be kept to painted finishes and metal. Trim (plastic) is best dressed with a different protective and certain waxes could leave white on these areas otherwise.