PDA

View Full Version : over the counter products?

97Avenger
07-28-2007, 02:05 PM
I have seemed to find that nobody really here uses over the counter products like Meguairs or mothers etc... Is there something wrong with their products? or you just not use what everybody else uses? I would like to know some of the products you guys and girls use and where to get them.

dontsleeponit
07-28-2007, 03:11 PM
off the top of my head...

meg's gold class wash
mothers reflection line
meg's final inspection QD
meg's ultimate quick detailer
meg's #26 high tech wax
clay magic clay
stoner's invisible glass and tarminator
Armor all tire foam
mothers back to black
mothers mag and aluminum polish
lexol leather care products
All of the duragloss line (if you can find it OTC)

I know there are alot of people here that use this stuff, and many more. Alot of people also use the meg's NXT stuff, but its always debated how good it all is. This OTC stuff is all pretty good, but there will always be something better, alot of which is available here at AG.

PhaRO
07-28-2007, 06:38 PM
When I started mobile detailing I was using all OTC products. I started using bulk commercial lines as they saved me a lot of money. I also found some customers liked that I was using something they couldn't buy at the local store. I still felt for the most part the products worked just as well as many of the OTC products I had used. A couple of years ago I started trying more "boutique" type products. My personal take on it now is when it comes to paint cleaning and protection the "boutique" products outperform most everything I've used from bulk lines or OTC. For other chemicals (dressings, soaps, cleaners) I don't feel they perform much better. Just my experience though.

supercharged
07-28-2007, 07:02 PM
I have seemed to find that nobody really here uses over the counter products like Meguairs or mothers etc... Is there something wrong with their products? or you just not use what everybody else uses? I would like to know some of the products you guys and girls use and where to get them.
most of them will gve you below average results...

97Avenger
07-28-2007, 07:34 PM
So if I want really good results, I should buy the detail stuff here. I see some of the cars that people show on here and it looks absoutly amazing. I want that kind of shine but I don't see it in the products I use excpesially on my wife 02 yellow MonteCarlo. Hopefully I can order some this coming week.

FMINUS
07-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Whats the difference between the 2?

meg's final inspection QD
meg's ultimate quick detailer

ScottB
07-28-2007, 08:22 PM
we carry several products available OTC that are considered good products. Look to Megs and Mothers ... but remember we often sell at discount and allow the ability to add a boutique product or two.

Surfer
07-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Once you use boutique lines, you'll understand why. There's still a couple good otc stuff, but not much. Duragloss would be at the top even though Megs/Mothers offers a wider range, but good luck finding it otc. AG carries it anyway;)

sparkie
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Yea, I pick up some OTC tire dressing from a Mom and Pop store this pass week. I was looking to buy a foam cannon. Told the guy I detail cars on the side, and he started giving me some products to try... Like Surfer said Once you use boutique lines, you'll understand why.....

wytstang
07-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I just detail my own cars which is all of 2. Before getting serious about detailing I used Megs and 3M mostly. Boutique lines absolutly outperformed them in every which way. They are easier to use and gave better results and I noticed this before I bought my buffer. The buffer (all though still learning as I go) propelled the results even further. My 12yr old car looks better then a lot of last yrs cars (paints that is).

ltoman
07-29-2007, 01:32 AM
Once you use boutique lines, you'll understand why. There's still a couple good otc stuff, but not much. Duragloss would be at the top even though Megs/Mothers offers a wider range, but good luck finding it otc. AG carries it anyway;)

I think Surgfer has summed it up right there.

Bernard
07-29-2007, 08:51 AM
OTC products that I usually use are car shampoo, leather conditioner, glass cleaner & tire dressing. Waxes, sealants & polishes - I used boutique ones.