PDA

View Full Version : Which coating to choose... Dads new car

Pages : [1] 2

zerix
06-16-2014, 09:05 AM
My father is getting a new '14 BMW M5 next week and I'm having trouble deciding which coating to choose or which combination of products to use.

I basically know how to apply, how the products work, the benefits, the disadvantages of all these products, but I've always been bad with decisions like this, so I wanted to get some input. The car is going to be a lease, so doing the XPEL + Opti-Coat Pro is out, no reason to spend that kind of coin on a leased car.

I've also determined I'm going to pull all the wheels and coat them as well as use a dedicated glass sealant.

Options:

1) Opti-Coat 2.0 - As we all know, this is a great mostly permanent resin coating. I've done a monumental amount of research on it and found quite a few instances of the coating staining when it's not topped with something, as well as water spotting/etching. These are deterring however I've also become fond of Sonax Polymer Netshield in the last year, I have it going on 4 different cars now and it's an amazing product so I was thinking OC2.0 topped Sonax PNS after 2-3 weeks would be a winning combo.

2) Cquartz UK 2014 edition - Heard lots of positive things here. Corey is a great guy, I like buying stuff from him. Not much negative to CQUK, I think most of the horror stories are people who don't prep the surface right or remove the product correctly. Both of which I'm meticulous about. I've also thought about CQUK + Sonax PNS as a combo as well. I PM'd Rob from Gtechniq and he said I can overcoat CQUK with Gtechniq EXOv2, which got my attention, I think this would be a great combo. I know people will say I'm selling the CQUK short by topping it, but I'm just looking for the most durability possible out of it.

3) Gtechniq C1 + EXOv2 - Reviews have seem positive on this combo of products, I know people have some problems applying each of these products, but again I like to be very thorough in this aspect and I don't believe it will be a problem. I've also thought about doing JUST EXOv2 and leaving out the C1, but not too sure about that. I have talked to Gtechniq before and they have said the C1 should last 2 full rounds of EXOv2 before it should need to be reapplied. Meaning sitting under EXOv2 it should last 4+ years!

4) Sonax Polymer Net Shield - Just go the cheap rout and put on 2 coats of this.

Some of the other products which I don't really want would be the DP/Pinnacle Black Label paint coatings. I used the DP coating last summer on 2 different cars and was not impressed with the performance of them. This also means the Duragloss coating is out as I feel its nearly the same product.

Lastly the glass sealant, I think I've decided on Gtechniq G1, it offers the most performance for the smallest price. Only 18 bucks and the side/rear glass should be permanently sealed, and the front glass for 2 years, seems like a good deal to me. Money no object I would get Opti-Glass Pro put on, but the closest guy that can do that would be Garry Dean and he's almost 3.5hrs away.

Sorry for the long-winded post, just would like people's opinions.

refreshauto
06-16-2014, 09:27 AM
i have used the entire GTechniq line of coatings from the C1, EXO, G1/G2 and the C5 wheel armor. they all work together. the other line i have used is the PBL coating line. i have also had real good results with their line of coatings as well. the other i cannot speak of as i have no used them before

Pureshine
06-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Opti-coat or CQuartz are great products. Gtechniq is a good product. I'm not a fan of C1 and EXO together it has a chance of hazing. I've talked to kevin at Gtechniq about this problem.

Zelfiris
06-16-2014, 10:13 AM
How long is the lease? 3 years?

All the products you listed have prices that aren't too far from each other. I would give CQUK 2014 a shot. It's supposedly to last in the 2 years time frame which kind of lines up when the car would be returned shortly after

06-16-2014, 10:26 AM
My vote is CQ UK - I recently applied it to my black mustang - blew my socks off how much gloss it exhibits. Honestly, you could just as easily apply Reload over the top of UK for the slickness. What color M5?

zerix
06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
How long is the lease? 3 years?

All the products you listed have prices that aren't too far from each other. I would give CQUK 2014 a shot. It's supposedly to last in the 2 years time frame which kind of lines up when the car would be returned shortly after

This is what I was sort of leaning towards, it's too bad I couldn't have decided this yesterday, Corey had a monster sale on all the things I would need to order from him... IronX Lemon, CQUK 30ml kit, reload, suade mf lol

zerix
06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
My vote is CQ UK - I recently applied it to my black mustang - blew my socks off how much gloss it exhibits. Honestly, you could just as easily apply Reload over the top of UK for the slickness. What color M5?

Monte Carlo Blue :dblthumb2:

06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Monte Carlo Blue :dblthumb2:

Sick!

zerix
06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Do people think the 30ML bottle is enough to do 2 coats on a huge M5? Also wanting to do 2 coats on the wheels as well. Would the 50ml bottle be a better bet?

06-16-2014, 10:51 AM

GenesisCoupe
06-16-2014, 11:30 AM
CQUK fan here, 50ml bottle will do everything on that monster. it is a large car so i actually think 3/4 to a full bottle will do everything including wheels.

Dr_Pain
06-16-2014, 11:37 AM
CQUK for the WIN!

I am a Finest installer, and do 2 coats on all my cars, and car and wheels will require 50ml as previously stated. After the cure time, apply a layer of Reload and you will be smiling for weeks. Coating tend to be a little "grippy" but topping with Reload just makes it SICK SLICK!

zmcgovern45
06-16-2014, 12:20 PM
CQUK & Reload... incredible combination there.

I enjoy Reload WAY more than SPNS as a topper. SPNS takes much longer to apply and does not leave a slick surface afterwards. You can apply Reload to your vehicle in 10 minutes, and the results are stunning (even when Reload is used as a stand alone product).

zerix
06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Thanks for all the extra information guys, is there any advantage to DLUX on wheels opposed to CQUK2014?

06-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all the extra information guys, is there any advantage to DLUX on wheels opposed to CQUK2014?

Don't think so, even though it says you can use on wheels. UK is harder 70% SiO2 vs 50% Silica in Dlux - I just UKd my chrome wheels = awesome!