PDA

View Full Version : Removing nail polish from dash

photocrazy
06-16-2014, 12:28 AM
How can I remove the nail polish from dash? it is only a tiny spot but it is still visible in black dash. I don't want to use nail polish remover as acetone may eat in dash plastic

BobbyG
06-16-2014, 05:09 AM
The problem with nail polish is the solvents used to manufacture it have probably already bonded or fused it to the plastic. You might try lifting it with a plastic razor blade and if this is a no go then try hiding it with a small dab of colored paint.

photocrazy
06-17-2014, 12:28 AM
The problem with nail polish is the solvents used to manufacture it have probably already bonded or fused it to the plastic. You might try lifting it with a plastic razor blade and if this is a no go then try hiding it with a small dab of colored paint.

I tried to scrape but it is a very thin film. I am afraid i may end up scratching the dash. How about goo gone, wd40 or paint thinner? would they affect the plastic?

Rsurfer
06-17-2014, 12:47 AM
I tried to scrape but it is a very thin film. I am afraid i may end up scratching the dash. How about goo gone, wd40 or paint thinner? would they affect the plastic?

Try it, at this point you have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, you can do what Bobby G. suggested. If it get's worse, you can cover it with a dash cover. BTW how in the hell did nail polish get on your dash?

Docpeanut
06-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Have you tried an APC

Just02896
06-17-2014, 08:56 PM
I've read that using amyl acetate works best to remove nail polish from plastic. Not sure if or how it may affect color though.

photocrazy
06-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Have you tried an APC

I tried einszett cockpit premium, but it does nothing.

photocrazy
06-20-2014, 02:10 AM
I've read that using amyl acetate works best to remove nail polish from plastic. Not sure if or how it may affect color though.

Mine is a dark black dash, so any discoloration will be pretty obvious

photocrazy
06-20-2014, 02:11 AM
Try it, at this point you have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, you can do what Bobby G. suggested. If it get's worse, you can cover it with a dash cover. BTW how in the hell did nail polish get on your dash?

It was from my spouse.

BillE
06-20-2014, 07:00 AM
It was from my spouse.

As the old joke goes, "That's number one!"

Bill