PDA

View Full Version : gloss black Audi grill frame with strange stain

builthatch
06-15-2014, 10:27 AM
i use a detailer in another state that i use when i'm picking up cars local to him. i use a broker and he tends to use dealers out of the area. it's easier to just have him do it, esp if i'm getting clear film, since i don't do it. it's hard as a perfectionist to settle for someone else's work sometimes but he has a great reputation.

anyway, i took my brand new Audi to him for some clear film (which i don't do) and a new car prep with coatings.

i won't get into a whole thing here about the job, but one thing i had a question about was there was a random stain on the top of the gloss black grill frame. it appears a buffer or something might have hit it. it's not marring in the traditional sense but more like if someone took (by hand) a primed 5" pad with very little product on it and touched the grill with it, then left it to bake in the sun. it's hazy as heck and not able to be felt. when i picked up the vehicle, he wasn't there. i noticed it and one of his guys tried Eraser, something else and then put some sort of Sonax wax on it. not sure why he did all of that, but i figured i'd better just work on it myself when i get home before he makes it worse.

that night i wiped it with Opti-Clean to get the driving grime off and hand polished it with two different densities of foam using OPT Finish Polish to no avail.

my thought is that when he coated the truck, he coated right over that.

it's gloss black plastic, very similar to my other car's b-pillars. but it's such a thin area. should i just mask everything off to help against sling and hit it with a no cut pad on the DA and some Hyper Polish?

Paul A.
06-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Sorry to hear. Any chance you can give us a picture of it?

builthatch
06-15-2014, 12:30 PM
ugh, i'm sorry my first post is confusing and reads so awkwardly! i had to leave and didn't get to proof it. i forgot there is almost no time to edit posts on this forum!

Puckman, thanks. it's going to be super hard to pick up on a camera, i can already sense that, haha...but i'll try.