PDA

View Full Version : Question on pads

EricS
06-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Hi everyone, first time post here. Have learned a lot on this forum by reading many posts and articles.

I am planning on buying one of the PC 7424XP kits but not sure on pads, CCS or the Hydrotechs.

Planning to get Mike's books and much more.

jimfiremedic
06-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Hey, pretty new to the forum as well. Great place. Don't have a ton of experience detailing but I do have experience with both pads you've listed. I also have a PC. Originally bought the 6.5" CCS pads and liked them but wanted to try a smaller lower profile pad a picked up the hydrotrechs. Love the size but due to the different foam construction, I found them extremely difficult to clean. I am very conservative with my product use but know the CCS pads clean up much easier. I will be trying out the CCS 5.5" low profile pads today. Hope this helps.

Just02896
06-15-2014, 08:58 AM
Definitely use 5" hybrids or 5.5" hydrotechs on a PC and you will achieve much better results in less time!

EricS
06-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Definitely going with the 5.5, thinking of get the CCS pads because the has a total of 9 CCS or 5 Hydrotechs. Can always get some Hydrotechs later if I don't like the CCS pads.

Just02896
06-15-2014, 10:21 AM
CCS pads don't really work well with compounds and polishes that break down as they are worked. Problem is that They release fresh product as your trying to finish down. If your using products that do not break down, CCS pads work great.

Desertnate
06-16-2014, 07:48 AM
I have had great success with the LC Flat Pads with all types of products.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
06-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Hi everyone, first time post here. Have learned a lot on this forum by reading many posts and articles.

I am planning on buying one of the PC 7424XP kits but not sure on pads, CCS or the Hydrotechs.

Hi, welcome to AGO.

For starting out I recommend the Hydro-Tech pads. Very easy to remember in that there is only 3 pads in the lineup. 1 Cutting, 1 Polishing, and 1 Finishing pad. I prefer the closed cell design of these pads over say the regular flat pads with their open cell design. With a closed cell design the product stays on the surface longer instead of saturating the pad.

Which polishes are using or planing to pick up?

Mike

refreshauto
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
this is a good kit to start out with. i do recommend you follow the above advise as well with the hydro-tech pads. you cannot go wrong with them. i would also advice to get some good MF towels. Pads and MF towels you can never have enough of.

Wolfgang Porter Cable 7424xp Ultimate Polishing Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-porter-cable-kit.html)

Bunky
06-16-2014, 10:46 AM
The problem with the polisher kits is they usually do not include enough pads. Depending on steps and correction, the kits may not have the right pads.

refreshauto
06-16-2014, 10:55 AM
The problem with the polisher kits is they usually do not include enough pads. Depending on steps and correction, the kits may not have the right pads.

you are right about that, they dont have enough pads in them. you would have to add more pads to the order

Kamakaz1961
06-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Definitely going with the 5.5, thinking of get the CCS pads because the has a total of 9 CCS or 5 Hydrotechs. Can always get some Hydrotechs later if I don't like the CCS pads.

I prefer the CCS pads over the Hydrotechs. I am probably in the minority on this, however, the CCS pads are thicker and can cover more correction. That being said, I am sure there are a majority of people that likes the Hydros...I have them and I use them as back ups. I get better results with the CCS pads. Again, that is just me and my technique.

Either way, you can't go wrong with either..both are excellent pads.

5" and 5.5" Pads are definitely the way to go. 6" is a little too big for the PC7424 XP.

The PC7424 XP is a fine DA...I just used it over the weekend to teach my next door neighbors son.

:buffing: