PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ combo for new F-150 Black

efex4
07-28-2007, 07:21 AM
Hello all --- This is my first post, but I have been reading and searching for awhile. I've had so many products in and out of my shopping cart, its more confusing now than when I started.

First I'd like to give some info on what I have and what I looking for.

--- 07 Ford f-150 fx-4 crew Black 1000 miles ---
New paint in very good shape but a few dealer imposed light scratches on the hood and light swirl marks. Truck will be outside 24/7

--- I will be buying a pc or udm along with first purchase, leaning towards the pc for $95, the udm (for me) is still to new w/few bugs, and I think the pc will be a good companion for the Metabo rotary down the road.

--- I am an every 2-3 months kind of guy, while washing twice a week plus some touch up wax. I would like to find a good one-two puch combo (polish then sealant) with an occassional carnuba topper. Would love Souveran, but its not practicle. Like to spend avg. $20 each polish,sealant,wax. Sun friendly, wont stain trim, and easy (whole car or one panel at a time)

Here are some of my ideas
Megs #80 & #21
poorboys world polish & ex-p
xmt 360 & #845 & xmt 180
Menzerna ???? & p-21
dg 101 & 105

All suggestions appreciated -- Thanks

alban61
07-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Welcome, and congratulations on the purchase of your new F150!
From what I've read in the Forum, XMT360 is a great all-round mild swirl remover, cleaner and sealant. The great thing is there's no need to wait for cure time with XMT360. With other sealants like DG105 and PB EX-P, you have to wait at least 12 hrs before applying wax etc. And don't let water hit it, while it's curing. It's sometimes difficult when you're parked outdoors 24/7.
If you need a polish with more punch but finishes off great, try Menzerna PO106FF Nano Polish. If you do get Menzerna, also get Optimum Polish. If you polish outdoors (like me) Menzerna can dust quite a bit, depending on the heat/humidity. A touch of OP on the same pad with Menz, does wonders and keeps dusting to a minimum (almost none for me).
As for waxes, XMT180 sounds great, and DP MaxWax is also something to consider. Easy on/easy off. Another one is PB Natty's Blue wax.
Just some suggestions, and won't cost you and arm and a leg! LOL

efex4
07-28-2007, 08:05 AM
Is the xmt 360 an every time polish, or when needed? I think the F-150 has a med soft c.c. is that alright for the 106ff?

alban61
07-28-2007, 08:52 AM
Polish only when needed. Should only need to polish once or maybe twice a year.
PO106FF is also pad dependant. It'll be fine on your F150. Start out with the Grey finishing pad. If that's not good enough, bump up to the White polishing pad. You'll be amazed at how your paint looks after Menz. Since your truck is new, I don't think you'd have to go higher than a White polishing pad. Of course, still clay your truck before polishing. [I am referring to LC pads, since it's what I have]
You'll get more suggestions soon from others here who also have more experience than me, and who've used XMT360.

efex4
07-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Almost locked in! Looking @

-Menz. 106ff w/ a dot of optimum polish
-Wolfgang deep gloss sealant
-natty's blue

I could get the wolfgang/souveran kit for same $, what ya think?

Also what is a cheaper alternative for light correction twice a year, then seal and shine every 2 -3 months? Thanks again

D
07-29-2007, 01:35 PM
XMT 360 paired with an LC CCS orange pad would be perfect for your truck. You might even be able to get away with a LC CCS white pad. Men 106FF will probably give it a better shine then XMT 360. And youll probably only need a CCS white pad with it.

WG DGS would be great for your truck. Excellent choice.

I havent used Natty's Blue. But Id go with Sig. Series II, or even Souveran Paste if you want to spend $$$.

You could use XMT 360 twice a year. You could use it more then that and be just fine.

This would be a great kit, Wolfgang Menzerna KitFor New Cars (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-menzerna-kit.html) Then get yourself a wax.

You could use the FP twice a year (or when needed), Wolfgang every 4- 6 months. Wax every 1- 2 months.

efex4
07-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I like the sound of the wolfgang / menzerna kit.

Check this order out - any subs.? --- trying to save some cash ---

199.99 - pc 7424 & pad kit
69.99 - wolfgang / Menzerna kit
24.99- Natty red
29.99 - pinnacle ultra poly clay
19.99 - supreme guzzler
9.99 - grit guard
149.99 - weathertech liners

Thinking of pinn. sig II insteat of the natty's (look w/ black?)

Truls
07-29-2007, 07:04 PM
M 106ff for the swirls (the APO60 does also remove some even its a sealer)

Orels i would go with my personal fav

DG 101
DG 105

You dont need the DG 101, but i looks great and it ads durability to the 105 as a bonus, and its a breeze to apply/remove so you dont need more than 30-45 minbs extra effort to gain a month or two extra protection.

Another product on my WOW list is the DG111, that looks great as a topper.

QD it with the DG Aquawax once a month to boost it and use the DG 921 fast clean a shine after every wash and you got to get the blackest Ford in the States imo.....

........and i dont se any washing tool in your line up? You got to have the ShMitt...he he

Good luck, and remember pics

D
07-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Sig. Series II is great on black. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/7258-detailed-06-king-ranch.html Another good choice is Nattys Blue. You could also go with Mothers clay instead of the Pinnacle to save some money.