PDA

View Full Version : Help. I can't get the smearing off the inside of my back window!!!

Pages : [1] 2

ltoman
07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Be prepared before you look:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/laurentoman_2007/P7270038.jpg

This is on the inside. A former student who does mechanical work - (he is on a scholarship learning to work on deisel engines - he has done lots of work on our son's car when he messed it up...but he is no detailer.

He was "helping" and used windex on the inside... Caught it too late.. Since then, all the Stoner's in the world can't solve it. This shot shows it. You only see it when the light hits it a certain way, and I am about to scream.

I think I will sit in the back hatch, where the roof stores, and wash it with a bucket and a shmitt and pinnacle shampoo.

Ideas? Any and Every one!

Gracias!!!
~LT~:D:D:D:D I AM SO EMBARASSED~~~

D
07-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Can you just not reach it? Glass Master Pro Glass and Surface Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/glass-master-pro.html)

ltoman
07-28-2007, 12:29 AM
It is hard to reach, yes. But why hasn't Stoner's removed it?

Jimmie
07-28-2007, 12:31 AM
Worst case senario the tint has been compromised and can be removed and replaced. The next step that I would take is to see what a tint business thinks of your situation. Hard to tell from the pics.

Nica
07-28-2007, 12:35 AM
That's strang Lauren becuase I've been using Stoners for quite some time now and I've never had this problem. mmmm...seems odd to me...do you think you could have been using to much glass cleaner? well even then I've noticed that the Stoners seems to correct it's self....mmm..odd.

tod071
07-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Is that window tinted?

SiliconX
07-28-2007, 12:41 AM
I had that once in my old car. Not sure what it was from, but it was definitely more than simple dirt or the typical film that develops on the inside of windows over time from breathing and such.

I used a double dose (read: scrubbed it twice) of a 1:1 Water/Vinegar solution, scrubbed it with a cheapo Simoniz buffer cutting pad and then hit it with some Stoners and a clean MF cloth and good as new. Only downside is the smell is a bit strong for a little bit after.

FMINUS
07-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Was it a cheap tint?

D
07-28-2007, 12:54 AM
It is hard to reach, yes. But why hasn't Stoner's removed it?

You arent supposed to use Windex on tinted windows because it has ammonia in it. Just like Jimmie said, looks like the tint is ruined.

dontsleeponit
07-28-2007, 02:04 AM
I bet the window isnt tinted, she never said it was. I have that exact same problem on my back window, quarter windows, and sometimes even windshield of my GTO. Im using IG too and it leaves a film or a "smearing" like you said sometimes.

I really suck at cleaning windows, and it makes me mad because it shouldnt be a hard task, but I can just never make them look great, theres always something streaked or smeared when im done.
I think I really need to get my hands on a glass MF, maybe that will help.

Good luck with it definately report back to us if you get it cleaned up, I wanna know what you used.

DantheMan
07-28-2007, 06:23 AM
if its not a tint problem, just 'residue' from the windex, dampen a MF with water only, wipe it down, and dry with a different dry MF.. No streaks. I rarely even use a window cleaner anymore, unless I actually need it for dirtier stuff..

trhland
07-28-2007, 07:10 AM
have you tryed the steelwool? buff with that then wipe clean .

ltoman
07-28-2007, 12:54 PM
i never tinted that window. it is vette stock.
would i have to have added the tint to ruin it?

Al-53
07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
I would not use steel wool on the window..you have heater lines in it...the steel wool may cut thru the coating and erode the heater wires....

You can try just a mix of alc and water..or vinegar and water....do it 50/50 mix..then go over it with the stoners....do not use any abrasive products on the window due to the defroster wires....

Al

trhland
07-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I would not use steel wool on the window..you have heater lines in it...the steel wool may cut thru the coating and erode the heater wires....

You can try just a mix of alc and water..or vinegar and water....do it 50/50 mix..then go over it with the stoners....do not use any abrasive products on the window due to the defroster wires....

Alyes if theres heater wires on the inside of glass you dont want to use steelwool.