PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a dumb question

jimim
06-13-2014, 03:08 PM
I always wonder this. Especially in the winter when it snows out. I use a local car wash to power wash my trucks before I hang wash them. I only use water to get the rough stuff off and then go home and bucket wash. Does using just water at these take wax or sealants off. I have heard the soap at these places will strip so thats why I never use then, but always wondered about theater since it's such a strong blast of water? maybe stupid but always wondered.

jim

cleanmycorolla
06-13-2014, 03:11 PM
might hurt a wax, not a sealant IMO

mwoolfso
06-13-2014, 03:40 PM
If you are not safe with the power-washer than certainly it would.

jamesboyy
06-13-2014, 04:25 PM
If your not careful yeah it might hurt your LSP though in the winter your Lsp may have already been compromised by the salt etc

jimim
06-13-2014, 06:25 PM
so i guess the question is should I even bother. i always did it in the winter cause the road treatment (that spray stuff) is wicked on finishes. it rots through metal so fast if left on cars. i always would stop on the way home from work and spray off my truck, go home and grab my wife's just to get most of what i can off.

in the summer i always take them before bucket washing to clean out the wheel wells and get the rough stuff off first so i'm not rubbing it over the paint with my wash mitt.

what do you guys do about the heavy dirt before washing? not off-roading in the mud dirt, but the regular day to day grime that can build up after riving around all day.

jim

chet31
06-13-2014, 10:39 PM
I don't bother. I sealed my car for the winter on Dec 12. Didn't touch it again until Apr 10. My car beaded water even though I was using a cheap OTC sealant. The car was constantly dirty and salty. Washing a dirty salty car is a good way to induce swirls, so I just avoid it. Plus, when I have washed my car in previous winters, it gets salty again in about 5 minutes.

swanicyouth
06-13-2014, 10:50 PM
There is some myth out there that a pressure washer will remove a wax or a sealant. Unless your using like a 4,000 psi pressure washer - it's just not true.

If it was true , all you would have to do to prep for coating success is pressure wash your car. But we know, these LSPs can be quite tenacious - as well as resistant to many APC like chemicals.