PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424 Pad Included with machine

ljdarby
07-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know if the stock foam pad included with each PC7424 is suitable for applying polishes, waxes or sealants? I am afraid that this pad might induce swirls or other marks on my car's finish. I have purchased Lake Country pads but would like to salvage the stock pad if it is suitable for use. Help, please...
Feed back please

gary26
07-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Did you buy your PC7424 from Autogeek ? They usually set you up with pads you can use on your car. If you purchased it from them call and they can advise you.
Good luck Gary 26

wytstang
07-27-2007, 11:12 PM
I've read that it's not but I bought mine used so I have no clue first hand. It's probably onr os those "Better safe then sorry" deals.

tod071
07-28-2007, 01:09 AM
When I bought my 7336, it didn't come with a pad or a backing plate. So I'd have to ask the same question as Gary, where did you buy it from?

Might also help to post a pic of the pad.

Rsurfer
07-28-2007, 03:00 AM
My 7424 from AG came with a white polishing pad that had the male shaft attached to the pad. In other words, it was one piece. What color was your pad?

FMINUS
07-28-2007, 03:12 AM
My 7424 from AG came with a white polishing pad that had the male shaft attached to the pad. In other words, it was one piece. What color was your pad?

Me too, I wouldnt put it to the paint. JUNK IT

Z06-Goose
07-28-2007, 03:29 AM
Me too, I wouldnt put it to the paint. JUNK ITIt's funny, I did get the same pad with the male attachment, and never bothered to try it out.

chipt911
07-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know if the stock foam pad included with each PC7424 is suitable for applying polishes, waxes or sealants? I am afraid that this pad might induce swirls or other marks on my car's finish. I have purchased Lake Country pads but would like to salvage the stock pad if it is suitable for use. Help, please...
Feed back please

I got one too and plan to use it as a base for my buffing bonnets.

ljdarby
07-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Note from original submitter of question- I bought the PC7424 from a PC dealer via the Internet. The pad is white foam with integrated screw for directly screwing into PC shaft. I think the best use for the pad is to use Chipt911's advice and restrict it to being a base for microfiber buffing bonnets (or use lambswool pad as bonnet base as many websites suggest). Thanks guys for the input...

Jimmie
07-28-2007, 09:40 PM
wytstang is correct IMO. "Better safe than Sorry". I used it and it started to fail about 3/4 of the car done. The foam formed a groove where the foam and backing plastic met. It started slinging foam. Some of it was operator error I'm sure but I still think it will fail.

hondapower
07-30-2007, 06:27 PM
wytstang is correct IMO. "Better safe than Sorry". I used it and it started to fail about 3/4 of the car done. The foam formed a groove where the foam and backing plastic met. It started slinging foam. Some of it was operator error I'm sure but I still think it will fail.

yup same thing happened to mine.