PDA

View Full Version : so i tested some foaming yesterday...

TurboToys
06-11-2014, 10:40 AM
and came up with the results that megs gold class car wash doesnt really foam at all!

i tested these soaps i had.

megs gold class
chemical guys citrus wash and gloss
chemical guys glossworkz auto shampoo
blackfire conditioning shampoo (sample)
detailer's pro xtreme foam formula (sample)

and a local shops paint prep spray also (for wax stripping).

the megs gold class pretty much had no foam at all. at a 1 oz to 30oz ratio (4 oz per gal) which was surprising for how much people love it as an off the shelf soap. i cant say i ever really impressed with it, but whatever works.

the detailer's pro i was expecting to be amazing since it was supposed to be a foam formula. but it didn't perform as well as the CG or BF soaps. at a 2 oz per gal ratio it was mediocre and had not a ton of foam, and 4 oz per gal it finally picked up and had a ton of foam coming out.

the glossworkz was decent, it gave a good thick foam at 4oz per gal, and a decent still thick but not awesome foam at 2 oz per gal.

what i think was amazing was that both the blackfire and the CG citrus wash and gloss had thick heavy foam at 2 oz per gal ratios. the wash and gloss is definitely a super thick soap, and the bf seems to be more concentrated than the others as well. probably why they produced better foam with less soap.

and the paint prep that was meant to be just sprayed on a panel and let sit for a minute then wiped off actually foamed a lot better than the gold class car wash did, which was good news for me, because i was planning on using it as a stripper with the foamer for better cling on the whole car. this was at a 1:1 ratio that it requires.

overall, i want to do a larger scale testing with more samples and go at a 1,2, and 4 oz per gal ratios back to back and see which ones perform the best foam wise so the community can get a better idea of what actually produces better foam than others, a lot of people seem to be interested in what produces the best foam, and i think this is the ticket.

next time i end up doing this ill be taking some pictures, since by the time i was done i had a 6'x6' section of my driveway completely covered in foam.

joebrez
06-11-2014, 11:13 AM
2oz per gallon on most soaps? I thought CG states 1oz per 2-3 gallons.

vandau
06-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Do you have hard water? Megs Gold Class doesn't foam well for me in my cannon. But I have hard water. I plan on trying CG Maxi Suds since it has water softeners.

dcjredline
06-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Megs GC has never been impressive to me in the foam category. It washes well but it does not foam for me either.

hernandez.art13
06-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Meguiars GC doesn't foam up at all. IME

Meguiars Deep Crystal Wash foams up real nice and is $4.00+ at Wal-Mart.

TurboToys
06-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Im using these in a tornador foamer fyi, so its not the same type of foam as youd get in a foam cannon. Id be interested in trying some of the advertised foam soaps like the maxi suds and ironx snow foam to see how little product you need to produce a healthy foam for a presoak wash

Bunky
06-11-2014, 01:48 PM
I do want to try BF in a foam cannon.

refreshauto
06-11-2014, 02:17 PM
CG Mr.Pink foams up pretty good. i have that and the Iron-X snow foam. tried them both in the foam cannon and they foam up pretty good.

Marc08EX
06-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Gold Class doesn't foam for me as well - glad I'm not alone on that.

Tacket
06-11-2014, 04:51 PM
CP IronX Snow Soap does foam up pretty well, but doesn't dwell too incredibly long. Has a strange smell too, but I still enjoy using it once a month in the foam gun as a maintenance wash for my coated car before applying Hydro2.

grovlet
07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
I can't wait to try CG Honey Dew.... I recently purchased that as a "regular" wash vs. the IronX Snow Foam for a pre-detailing wash.

I previously used the Megs Gold Class as a regular wash and I agree = almost ZERO Foam in a gun, but good washing capabilities using the "Two Bucket" method... l just prefer to use the gun now - so on to CG Honey Dew!!:xyxthumbs:

RevitalizeAutoSpa
07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
CarPro Reset - great in a foam cannon (1 to 1.5oz and the rest filled with warm water), haven't used it in the Gilmour yet. The only soap I use on coated vehicles now.

CG Honey Dew Snow Foam - great in the foam cannon (2oz, rest warm water), foam gun (same dilution), and two buckets.

CG Extreme Maxi Suds II: Haven't tried it in the cannon or gun, but it's one of my go-tos for the buckets. Foams up very well and it's SUPER concentrated...