PDA

View Full Version : Opti-coat 2.0 repair?

sayroger
06-10-2014, 08:47 AM
I have to do a light repair on a car that has opti-coat 2.0 on it. The coating is more then 30 days old. Can i do a light polish with m205 with a white pad then re apply over the top with out removing all of the opti-coat? ( His wife took it to a cheerleader fund raiser car wash. AUCH!)

Next question

I have a friend that wants Reload put on his car after i opti-coat 2.0 is this ok to do and if so when is the best time to apply after applying the opti-coat?

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag259/rogerp3380/paint%20fixes/IMG_2428_zpsb84e8aef.jpg (http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/rogerp3380/media/paint%20fixes/IMG_2428_zpsb84e8aef.jpg.html)

parttimer
06-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I would tape off the area you are going to polish so as to ensure you only opti coat the area you polish. I don't know that re-load is recommended for opti. Can't help ya there.

hernandez.art13
06-10-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't think applying Reload will do any harm to the coating. Maybe not bond as well though. :dunno:

I am interested in what others have to say to your first question. If I were you I would just call Optimum customer service for additional information.

hernandez.art13
06-10-2014, 09:03 AM
I would tape off the area you are going to polish so as to ensure you only opti coat the area you polish. I don't know that re-load is recommended for opti. Can't help ya there.

I was thinking that too or maybe just do the whole panel like the whole fender for example if that is what got damaged.

But then he said the car got taken to a car wash. So that through a red flag in my head and I got thinking maybe it's the whole car. Hopefully that's not the case though.

sayroger
06-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Yes its the whole truck. That is why i did not know if a light scuff with 2.0 with help it bond. I just left a email to Optimum. let you know what they say.

sayroger
06-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Just talked to Optimum. They said light polish will scuff surface enough to reapply after good IPA wipe down.

hernandez.art13
06-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Now hopefully the light polish and white pad will remove the swirls that were introduced to the paint.

Do a test spot and dial in your process then repeat, then do an IPA wipedown and inspect, finally reapply opti coat.

Dang this isn't a quick fix. This looks like it's going to be a full paint correction detail.

If it was just a fender then ok just a quick fix, but the entire vehicle....,

Keep us posted and take plenty of pictures.

Good luck,

nubaseal
06-10-2014, 10:41 AM
Why not use Opti seal instead of reload?