PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Queens NY with questions

Pages : [1] 2

sleepybird
06-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Hello,
I'm newbie from Queens NY. I just got my first ever brand new car exactly 2 weeks ago on Memorial Day, and unfortunately I already scratched my car and this is why I'm here! I was backing my car and it bushed against the street pole. I would say the scratches are not deep but involves large area. I did some research on DIY car scratch repair but there are so many different tools and products and I'm not sure what's my best solution? For example, can I use touch-up paints or they are for rather deep scratches? I found some touch-up paint products from Automotivetouchup.com and DrColorChip.com. Are they legit websites?
For minor scratches, would rubbing compound work? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

refreshauto
06-09-2014, 11:17 PM
1st what kind of car is it.
2nd get you some touch up paint, and yes those are legit sites.

This was done with my flex 3401 w/lc hybrid orange pad

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

refreshauto
06-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Forgot to add that i used menzerna fg-400

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

jamesboyy
06-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Welcome to autogeek as for your hiccup you may just have paint transfer depending upon how soft your paint is therefore compounding and polishing the paintwork may help through if its deep you will want to mix base color and clear color together and apply it to vehicle and level it out with sand paper then compound and polish to high shine

mwoolfso
06-10-2014, 04:21 AM
Hello,
I'm newbie from Queens NY. I just got my first ever brand new car exactly 2 weeks ago on Memorial Day, and unfortunately I already scratched my car and this is why I'm here! I was backing my car and it bushed against the street pole. I would say the scratches are not deep but involves large area. I did some research on DIY car scratch repair but there are so many different tools and products and I'm not sure what's my best solution? For example, can I use touch-up paints or they are for rather deep scratches? I found some touch-up paint products from Automotivetouchup.com and DrColorChip.com. Are they legit websites?
For minor scratches, would rubbing compound work? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! I am also from NY - Nassau County.

If you can post some pics that would permit a wide ranging set of recommendations to come your way.

rwisejr
06-10-2014, 05:44 AM
Welcome and sorry to hear of the damage to your new baby. I'm from Suffolk county NY and I also have a house in Queens. I would post up more info such as Make and model . I would also include a clear picture of the damage . This way you could be pointed in the most beneficial direction.

Niblick
06-10-2014, 05:52 AM
As a rule of thumb, if you can hook a fingernail into the scratch then is too deep to polish out and will require respraying. Otherwise it's quite possible that it will polish out, although it may also require sanding.
Photos please :Picture:

sleepybird
06-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Wow this is my first post with questions and I'm thrilled by all the helps I'm getting. Thanks guys!

It's the 2014 Nissan Rogue Select in brilliant silver (I think the paint code is K23) color. Here are the photos. The ones on the rear side door are caused by brushing against the street pole. I think they are minor because my wife was standing right in front of it and still didn't see it (Her presence near that area always gives me the sweats!). Do you think polishing can do it?

There's also a tiny one in the front near headlight - this one is tiny but has depth to it. This one was there before the scratches at the rear and I'm not sure if it already had it when I picked-up the car or afterward but called the dealer where I bought the car and they told me to bring it in and they will patch it up for me.

All helps are greatly appreciated!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/u8egepuh.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/jy9e8ege.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/dysegy2a.jpg

refreshauto
06-10-2014, 01:11 PM
from the look of the pictures, looks like most if it can be polished out. its hard to tell, but if your finger nail catches across them they are to deep to polish out and would need some touch up paint. if you can see metal or black from the plastics, you will need the touch up paint for sure.

dcjredline
06-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah they are much much lighter than I expected. Looks like they would come out. If you werent 6 hours away Id help you out.

mwoolfso
06-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I probably live an hour or less from you so feel free to contact me via PM if you are interested in taking a trip out to Nassau for a few hours.

Some of those scratches can probably be buffed out and certainly reduced to a degree that one would really need to inspect the surface to find them.

I don't think you will be able to get all of them out though. The reason is simple; your incident was metal vs. metal. The main point of contact between vehicle and pole had to get some depth into a few of those striations. I know this from a little bit of experience. :) Odds are good you will need some wetsanding and a touch-up paint regimen (and I hope to be wrong).

Depending on where you want to go with this.... here are some links for you to review. Not only will you have a good sense of reality relative to your situation, you should get a good sense that there is hope for your situation and clearly an opportunity to learn an art form. :-)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/30379-dr-colorchip-before-during-after.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/80145-key-repair-fellow-autogeek-huge-pressure.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43535-key-repair-step-step-procedure.html

sleepybird
06-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the advices and the helpful links.

Ran my fingernails thru them and they don't stuck - I guess that's good news. I took a close-up shot of the worst area. Please take a look.

Assuming this can be completely polished off, what would be the max you're willing to pay to the auto shop /dealer to fix?

If I do it myself, what kind of products/tools do I need?

sleepybird
06-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Forgot to attach photohttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/12/tu6use4y.jpg

mwoolfso
06-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Getting "stuck" is not what you are assessing. If you feel ridges as you pass your finger over them then they are deep. A body shop may be able to compound and polish them out in ~ 30 minutes. To do it yourself you would need clay, a polisher, pads, compound and finishing polish and then a wax.

Is that pearlized paint?

sleepybird
06-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Not sure what pearlized mean but I think it's "no" - it's K23Liquid Platinum Silver Metallic/Brilliant Silver.

Now I'm not sure if it's deep or not. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. Not sure how much I should be willing to pay.