PDA

View Full Version : Have a scratch how to fix?

buddy01
06-09-2014, 01:16 PM
So I found this scratch recently on my truck and I need to see if its fixable by detailing. I have other scratches like this in other spots that are not down to bare metal or anything. Now with this scratch in the pic when I put my nail over it, it does not get stuck on anything but you can hear the difference in sound from the nonscratched area to that area. I was told rubbing compound may do the trick. Now I am not a detail expert I am trying to learn so if rubbing compound works, what process do I do after that in that area to protect the clear coat?

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h330/bonne01/scratch_zps7ff8624e.jpg (http://s1104.photobucket.com/user/bonne01/media/scratch_zps7ff8624e.jpg.html)

refreshauto
06-09-2014, 01:26 PM
i had something like that recently on my truck, i used Wolfgang Uber Compound with my Flex 3401 with 5" orange LC hybrid pad. it took it right out. i cant say if the rubbing compound will take it out for sure since i have never used it, but if you have a DA with the right pad and compound that should do the trick

buddy01
06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Sadly I have no DA or anything, so this would be done by hand. Is doing it by hand possible? I am going to want to purchase a DA soon, trying to learn everything then make the purchase.

jamesboyy
06-09-2014, 02:07 PM
I would take a little compound and see if would remove it cause it seems like the clear coat was damage only though if that dont help then you may have to do touch up

JACdetailing
06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Yes it can be done by hand. Purchase Megs Ultimate Compound. It is okay for use by hand, cheap, and can be easily found OTC. It should finish out well enough for your satisfaction as well.

buddy01
06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Ok, after the compound is there any other detailing I need to do to that area? If so please list!

refreshauto
06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
get the ultimate compound and the ultimate polish to use after the compound

buddy01
06-09-2014, 02:43 PM
Ok, I do not need to do anything else after polish compound?

refreshauto
06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
2 steps is all it should take

1. ultimate compound
2. ultimate polish

just make sure you have some good microfiber towels.

buddy01
06-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Ok cool, I gotta get some new microfiber towels, any OTC good ones I can get while at the store?

cardaddy
06-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Buddy, with some elbow grease and a decent cut compound, maybe on a cheap microfiber towel, of perhaps on a foam applicator it'll probably clean up pretty good. Even over the counter compounds, (like the 3M tub) can work. But you'll need to follow the compound with a polish, THEN you need some sort of sealant.

FWIW most liquid "waxes" these days are more of a polymer sealant than they are a "wax". Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (that looks like a lotion) is a good start. You can then do your detailing (after washing) with the Ultimate Spray Wax.:)

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
06-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Ok cool, I gotta get some new microfiber towels, any OTC good ones I can get while at the store?

I can't say 100% here because it's just what I believe, but the towels at Pep Boys seem a step up from the ones I see at Autozone and other B&M stores. Since I have no idea where they come from or anything I'm basing them being better on how they feel, I could be wrong here. I'm not saying they'll be up to MFT or Carpros quality, but they feel pretty quality at least.

refreshauto
06-09-2014, 05:24 PM
the only OTC ones i have bought are from Sam's. they come in a 30 pack. i have not tried any others

Hazcat
06-09-2014, 05:31 PM
the only OTC ones i have bought are from Sam's. they come in a 30 pack. i have not tried any others

Those will work.