PDA

View Full Version : Help with D151

96z28
06-09-2014, 08:19 AM
I need some recommendations on how to use D151 successfully. I bought it based on great reviews as an AIO. I have tried using it a couple times but I leave behind hazing. I have tried it on a GG DA with a white LC flat pad. I used medium pressure making 3-4 passes with faster arm movement(not rapid but faster than if I were using a compound or polish). I do get a great cut using it but leaving behind haze makes for more than one step. I have used it on a blue civic(my car), black silverado, and a black altima. What have you guys used with D151. Also, I know its made for a rotary. I do have a Makita but I am still learning with it. If it can improve my results I will put in the practice to feel comfortable using a rotary on a vehicle that is not my own.

parttimer
06-09-2014, 08:23 AM
You encountered what I did on maroon Buick paint although I used a pink CCS pad. I have had great luck using it on a white CCS pad so that would have been my suggestion. The Civic and Altima are going to have soft paint if what everyone says is true, the Chevy should be hard. HOWEVER on any dark color haze is going to show badly due to the light reflecting. I would try maybe a black pad if you have one. Also I do 4 or so good heavy passes, followed by two lighter, just the polishers weight, passes. I believe D151 is DAT so if you keep the pressure you keep cutting so lighten up and see what happens.

Evan.J
06-09-2014, 08:28 AM
What speed setting are you using?

I would use 4-5

I will say slow down your are speed and you might what do to 3-4 section passes with medium downward pressure then 2 with light downward to finish.

96z28
06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
You encountered what I did on maroon Buick paint although I used a pink CCS pad. I have had great luck using it on a white CCS pad so that would have been my suggestion. The Civic and Altima are going to have soft paint if what everyone says is true, the Chevy should be hard. HOWEVER on any dark color haze is going to show badly due to the light reflecting. I would try maybe a black pad if you have one. Also I do 4 or so good heavy passes, followed by two lighter, just the polishers weight, passes. I believe D151 is DAT so if you keep the pressure you keep cutting so lighten up and see what happens.

I didn't try a black pad, I thought it wouldn't do enough cutting to improve the finish(might be worth an experiment). I thought it was SMAT? If it's not I may not be working it long enough to break down the polish.

What speed setting are you using?

I would use 4-5

I will say slow down your are speed and you might what do to 3-4 section passes with medium downward pressure then 2 with light downward to finish.

I used 5

What is your working area?

In the past for AIO's I've used Griot's one step sealant and meg color x. Both I could use quickly and make minor improvements. I was hoping d151 could be used the same way and produce better results.

I will have to try a new technique which sounds like there is more time involved. In the past with the products mentioned above I could do an exterior wash including wheels, clay, and AIO in 3-4 hours. How long does it take you guys to do say a mid-sized 4 door with an D151? If i need more time I will just have to adjust my price accordingly.

Evan.J
06-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Here is a thread I found that Kevin Brown made
Some great input on
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/37678-meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html

96z28
06-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Here is a thread I found that Kevin Brown made
Some great input on:Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Creme D151 (http://http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/37678-meguiars-paint-reconditioning-cream-d151.html)

That link is not working but I think a google search found it.

Evan.J
06-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Fixed it

parttimer
06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Yep, you are right, it is SMAT, typo on my part!!