PDA

View Full Version : Mud, Dry Mud removal

Tato
06-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Dear friends,

Recently, I've encountered 2 cases where the mud, basically dried mud from driving on dust streets (common in Brazilian Rural Area) was very difficult to remove.

Even after washing the car for hours, using brushes, degreaser, APC on plastics, rubber and trim, when the car dries, I can still find mud / dust / dried mud residue on rubbers, mainly where they are inflexed towards in between panels (wow!).

Sorry, I don't know the proper terminology for this kind of mud, it's like Dust, it's 'reddish' brown in color... But it's embedded there.

What's the better way to get rid of this mud / embedded dust?

After thorough washing, degreaser, APC, etc, I'm going back over the whole car using tips, cotton swabs, folding MF towel with spatula, etc...

I finally can get rid of most, but when car is very embedded, it's difficult to finish spotless. I'm tired!

I'm ordering a vapor machine for interior, will this vapor help if using on mud on exterior trim?

I can clean the painted parts thoroughly with my process, but those muddy corners are killing me.

Any help would be VERY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards.

mwoolfso
06-09-2014, 05:56 AM
The reddish-brown portion of the mud is one of three things.... clay, iron oxide or other oxides and metals embedded in solid waste. If you have factories in the area or upstream it is more likely the latter 2 options.

Start off by putting a claybar to the plastic. If that doesn't work then you probably have some staining (as they tend to have a very high pH) or it is just really embedded/baked into the plastic. In that case, try some cleaning products with light acids like citric acid or create your own mixture with common household ingredients that are acidic in nature.

Best of luck to you.

BobbyG
06-09-2014, 06:02 AM
With all that scrubbing are you sure it's mud and not oxidation? I'm personally familiar with Brazil's climate and the sun and humidity, especially in Manaus, are brutal...

Mike Phillips
06-09-2014, 06:57 AM
I wonder if Iron X would work? That or Amazing Roll-off?

Another option would be a citrus based cleaner something like Xenit from Stoners.

:)